Sophas Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maiden

Class of 2016!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and in the process of applying for an MPH to start in Fall '07. Is there any of you using the Sophas application? Howz it going? What do you think of it? I'll like to read your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey anybody applying for 2007 yet?

I ALSO have the same question...

Is this service commonly used? Weird, but couple of weeks I made a topic in here asking if there's a central place where I could apply for MPH schools... and someone told me that I'd have to apply individually to each of the schools of the public health. Now that I've run into this SOPHAS thingie, I am so glad!!! :D

But I just want to know... does anyone have experience with this service? I guess my most important/basic question is: Is it used commonly???? It doesn't delay your application like the notorious AMCAS, does it??? :confused:

HELP!!!! Pleasee????

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I think I was the one who gave you the only-partly-accurate information. SOPHAS is a new thing (possibly just this year?), so I wasn't aware of it. It sounds like a great idea - it was a pain to provide essentially duplicate information to a number of schools - but my experience with online applications in general suggests that caution is good: make a test print of anything you plan to submit to make sure it looks how you want it to look, keep copies of everything, and check in with the school if you're not sure your application is complete. I think the overall cost of applying will probably work out the same, on average.

Keep in mind that not all schools of public health currently accept the SOPHAS application. There is a map showing participating schools in yellow and non-participating schools in white: http://www.sophas.org/SchoolMaps.htm
Many schools do seem to be participating (though some of the participating schools may also have "supplemental" applications in addition to the basic information).

Good luck, and hope the SOPHAS system serves you well and makes your life easier!

As usual, Namazu... you're great help!! Thanks a lot for always answering my questions! :) Where are you doing your MPH?

Hey there, I think I was the one who gave you the only-partly-accurate information. SOPHAS is a new thing (possibly just this year?), so I wasn't aware of it. It sounds like a great idea - it was a pain to provide essentially duplicate information to a number of schools - but my experience with online applications in general suggests that caution is good: make a test print of anything you plan to submit to make sure it looks how you want it to look, keep copies of everything, and check in with the school if you're not sure your application is complete. I think the overall cost of applying will probably work out the same, on average.

Keep in mind that not all schools of public health currently accept the SOPHAS application. There is a map showing participating schools in yellow and non-participating schools in white: http://www.sophas.org/SchoolMaps.htm
Many schools do seem to be participating (though some of the participating schools may also have "supplemental" applications in addition to the basic information).

Good luck, and hope the SOPHAS system serves you well and makes your life easier!

Be really really careful with the Sophas that you do not miss early deadlines at schools (which will often prevent you from getting a scholarship you might have gotten). Applying to each school isn't that bad....there are no secondaries (or interviews in most instances) so just pretend that you are a pre-med and you got through the 1st step!

But whatch those scholarship deadlines....money really helps.

Anyone applying to Yale? I know they are using Sophas exclusively.