MD & DO Sophomore Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bfbc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a sophomore interested in going to medical school and am looking for advice on how to improve my chances.

I'm a Molecular Biology major at UIUC and an Illinois resident with a 3.7 gpa.

I feel as though my extracurricular activities are weak. I currently have volunteered in a local hospital for 80 hours (started at the beginning of sophomore year) and will continue volunteering. I haven't done much else because I decided to focus on improving my grades since they were low first semester of freshmen year. I plan on tutoring calculus this semester and finding a research position this summer in a biochemistry or molecular biology lab. Am I headed in the right direction with this approach?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm currently a sophomore interested in going to medical school and am looking for advice on how to improve my chances.

I'm a Molecular Biology major at UIUC and an Illinois resident with a 3.7 gpa.

I feel as though my extracurricular activities are weak. I currently have volunteered in a local hospital for 80 hours (started at the beginning of sophomore year) and will continue volunteering. I haven't done much else because I decided to focus on improving my grades since they were low first semester of freshmen year. I plan on tutoring calculus this semester and finding a research position this summer in a biochemistry or molecular biology lab. Am I headed in the right direction with this approach?

Thanks for any advice.
That sounds good. Physician shadowing is another activity to strategize for, but it need not be a regular weekly activity, so long as it's done before you apply. You might arrange periodic bursts of time accumulation while home for breaks, when you can hit on your pediatrician, your folks' physicians, or the parents of friends to help you out.

Other areas that benefit an application if you can fit them in would be nonmedical community service that helps the poor and peer leadership (which could be combined in a single activity).