sorority stuff in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Ok i am answering the following question for a secondary:
What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

Well, i have never really been entrepreneurial or creative so toss those. As for leadership, I was the treasurer for three years in different campus council groups but my main leadership activity was through my sorority. I feel like I learned a lot as social chair of the sorority - lots of networking, dealing with national advisors, making sure everyone was safe and healthy at events, working on alcohol policy issues at school etc. But will this just get laughed at by adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

depends what sorority. Naw, I think it is fine and it really doesn't matter what the activity entails, as long as you were an organizer or leader.

call an adcom and see if they start laughing. otherwise you'd only get best-guesses from us.

in my opinion, as long as you describe what you learned, and make it sound good, the fact that it was for a sorority wouldn't matter so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Bounty

...I feel like I learned a lot as social chair of the sorority - lots of networking, dealing with national advisors, making sure everyone was safe and healthy at events, working on alcohol policy issues at school etc. But will this just get laughed at by adcoms?

Not if you state it like that. I think it will show that you learned something from the responsibility and actually took a proactive approach to you leadership role. I think they would like to see the experience.

I think its perfectly fine! I was the treasurer of my sorority and it was definitly an important leadership activity that I mentioned in secondaries.

I think it is absolutely a great idea to include it. You would be surprised how many people are greek - maybe one of the people who evaluates your application was greek and maybe even in your sorority!

I was philanthropy chair for a semester in my sorority and mentioned it where I thought it might be appropriate on secondaries, and briefly in my AMCAS app. I have 6 interviews scheduled out of 23 applications so far, so it doesn't seem to hurt!

Originally posted by Bounty
Hi everyone
Ok i am answering the following question for a secondary:
What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

Well, i have never really been entrepreneurial or creative so toss those. As for leadership, I was the treasurer for three years in different campus council groups but my main leadership activity was through my sorority. I feel like I learned a lot as social chair of the sorority - lots of networking, dealing with national advisors, making sure everyone was safe and healthy at events, working on alcohol policy issues at school etc. But will this just get laughed at by adcoms?

Is your sorority a sorority for women in science/engineering/technical studies? If not, then why not!? (j/k...my fiance is in one of these)....anyway....if you learned from it, then write about it.

long as yo sorority ain't the one from "sorority life"

hahaha

LOTS of docs are former greeks. I listed my fraternity stuff (president/chaplain) in the post secondary experiences part, but haven't come across any secondaries where I could bring it up without making it look like a strech.

It sounds like it would be great for the questions you're answering, but you may not want to spread it too thin to cover questions that may be better answered by describing other experiences.