sound do-able? for an hs student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

condemnation

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, everyone. this is my first post. i am an early admissions student here in south florida. basically, instead of finishing my senior yr. is HS next year, i'll go full time to university. that way i'll finish my HS senior year and uni freshman year simultaneously. my major is psychobiology.

my courses for first semester are:

biodiversity w/ lab
gen chem w/ lab
college algebra
spanish 2

do this sound doable? i'm a bit confused with the science courses because some say it's difficult, especially first semester of uni. but some tell me a lot of premeds do this, and the premed commitee at my school has a premed plan of sort, where you take bio, chem, college algebra during 1st semester, bio2, chem2, calculus during 2nd semester, etc.

i'm aware it's going to take a lot of studying and labs take up a lot of time, and my other two non-science courses are not exactly difficult... anyway, you think this is do-able for a HS senior?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine so long as you are mature and responsible to get your coursework done. At least in my case, my senior year of high school was an excercise in avoiding anything resembling thought or work. At least in most cases, college is a pretty big step above what you're used to in HS. If you have your mind made up that you want to go to med school and you're committed to it, you don't have anything to worry about. My advice-Get some friends in your classes who can help if you need it, but go for it. There's no sense in waiting. It's just another year of your life that you'll more fully utilize. I wish that I had this opportunity myself. Btw, your courseload looks like it will be a good start (not too difficult). Good luck.

Sounds eminently doable to me. Just be careful of how you manage your time. Unlike high school, which is jam-packed with short classes, college has longer classes and much more "free time". Just make sure you use that "free time" effectively.

Also, be aware that Biodiversity may not count towards your pre-med requirements. It sounds more like a survey course than the standard-issue Biology that you'll need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might just look at how much time Spanish is going to take up. The other classes look okay, I don't recommend more than two labs/ semester. I know that at my school taking a language is a huge commitment, and something many people underestimate. Remember you want your best grades to be in your Biology, Chem, physics and Math classes, something that'll be harder if you're working on Spanish. Why not take you're foreign language classes in the summer? They're supposed to be much easier that way. Maybe take intro to Psych instead? Just a few thoughts to ponder

Originally posted by MoCookiess
I might just look at how much time Spanish is going to take up. The other classes look okay, I don't recommend more than two labs/ semester. I know that at my school taking a language is a huge commitment, and something many people underestimate. Remember you want your best grades to be in your Biology, Chem, physics and Math classes, something that'll be harder if you're working on Spanish. Why not take you're foreign language classes in the summer? They're supposed to be much easier that way. Maybe take intro to Psych instead? Just a few thoughts to ponder

well during the summer i am planning to take college writing 1 and general psychology. the psych book is the same book AP Psych uses. i have briefly looked at a friends copy of the book and seems like a lot of studying and memorization, which is why i was planning to take it during the summer. i agree, spanish is definitely a ton of memorization, but assuming the two subjects take the same amount of effort, i guess it would be better to take spanish now and psych in the fall, that way at least i'll have a class i'm interested in. sounds logical, right?

thanks for the responses. i appreciate it.

Your hardest class will be gen chem and the chem lab. However as long as you keep up in the homework you will do fine. College alegbra should be easy as well as Spanish (if you're good at learning foreign languages).

I'm not sure what biodiversity is, but if its just like any other bio class the material won't be so bad I assume.

This is definitely a manageable course load, just keep up in your homework and you'll ace them. :cool: