BOTH Sources for Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hst

Rocky-mountain
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for step 1 UFAP was the golden triad that everybody tried to master but as far as Step 2 goes I'm having some difficulty finding the right sources and even after perusing through multiple threads I'm still pretty confused. I was hoping that Uworld, OnlineMeded, and First Aid USMLE Step 2 CK would suffice, and maybe Step Up to Medicine if I really don't understand a specific topic.
Input is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There will be differing opionions: CK advice, IMG what resources to use and how long to study?

I tried endocrine and gastroenteroogy from FA and I thought it was a waste of time. OME is good. Can't comment about SUTM and UW yet. Kaplan lecture notes are also good if you want something more detailed. MTB is an easy read but I've found 4 descrepancies between 2 and 3 so far. Uptodate is something everyone recommends as a reference - I've just subscribed so it's too early to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for step 1 UFAP was the golden triad that everybody tried to master but as far as Step 2 goes I'm having some difficulty finding the right sources and even after perusing through multiple threads I'm still pretty confused. I was hoping that Uworld, OnlineMeded, and First Aid USMLE Step 2 CK would suffice, and maybe Step Up to Medicine if I really don't understand a specific topic.
Input is much appreciated.
Thank you!

UWorld and OnlineMedEd. I reviewed them 2.5ish passes each and it’s what I spent the most time on and I still missed questions that were described in UWorld as I later found out. Please don’t fool around with Master the Boards (worst book ever because it’s outdated and “what is the most accurate test” is never asked) or Step Up to Medicine (decent for medicine shelf and tips on side are decent, not good for anything else..ok for fluids since it’s all in one chapter as well as muscle pathologies and ambulatory issues). Stick to OnlineMedEd and UWorld. If there’s anything else, I would actually recommend First Aid for USMLE Step 1 Biochemistry/Genetics (on the last day) if you’re the type of person to forget that kind of stuff as well as a good review of Biostatistics (buy UWorld package, save it, and do it all the day before, it’s stupidly comprehensive and uses the same wording...would have missed a few on my test otherwise if I didn’t do the pack the day before, well worth the $25).

I know how sick you are of hearing UWorld and OME as I was too but just keep doing it. Everything in UWorld is relevant and you can download UWorld PDF notes that are now near comprehensive so if the one sentence stem (wrong answer choice explanations) don’t describe something in depth and you need a jogger, you can ctrl+f the term with the PDF, UWorld search function is not as good and can’t find partial words.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
NBME for concepts or just for assessment?
Did you include CMS forms as well?
Thanks.

I did the CMS forms during 3rd year, but did not re-review them when studying for Step 2 CK.

I used the NBMEs for content. I feel the score estimates can be wildly off (UWorld Sim Forms are closer to your real deal score, usually). I study the NBMEs for content very closlely, I don't think you can get more high yield than something made by the NBME.

What do you recommend for large content review? I was sub-average for step 1 and my nbme shelf exams have also been poor. I’m clearly missing something aside from time to truly study the material. Is OME good enough for someone like me? I used it for peds shelf and scored like 20th percentile.. do you recommend quick review several times or slowly through one time?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I am in the same situation as chromuffin, didn't do hot on step 1, and striving to make up with an above average step 2 score

What do you recommend for large content review? I was sub-average for step 1 and my nbme shelf exams have also been poor. I’m clearly missing something aside from time to truly study the material. Is OME good enough for someone like me? I used it for peds shelf and scored like 20th percentile.. do you recommend quick review several times or slowly through one time?

How did you study for step 1?

In general, I recommend focusing on UWorld and the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science practice tests. You will learn the content you need to if you review these the right way (looking up information to understand every single NBME question). I recommend making flashcards for any question you get wrong.

OnlineMedEd is a good supplement for areas you are very weak on to provide a foundational framework, but oversimplifies many areas from the perspective of Step 2 CK (I love it for the wards, though). It is not by any means a substitute for doing questions. Don't waste your time on passive learning, no one retains it as well as active learning such as making flashcards.

How did you study for step 1?

In general, I recommend focusing on UWorld and the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science practice tests. You will learn the content you need to if you review these the right way (looking up information to understand every single NBME question). I recommend making flashcards for any question you get wrong.

OnlineMedEd is a good supplement for areas you are very weak on to provide a foundational framework, but oversimplifies many areas from the perspective of Step 2 CK (I love it for the wards, though). It is not by any means a substitute for doing questions. Don't waste your time on passive learning, no one retains it as well as active learning such as making flashcards.
Passive learning has been the only way I’ve ever studied. I watched Boards and Beyond. Passive learning worked up until med school. I’m a slow reader. Making flash cards has always been time consuming for me. I’d rather spend 12 hours reading than 12 hours making flash cards I’ll never have time to review. Doesn’t make much sense, I know.

Passive learning has been the only way I’ve ever studied. I watched Boards and Beyond. Passive learning worked up until med school. I’m a slow reader. Making flash cards has always been time consuming for me. I’d rather spend 12 hours reading than 12 hours making flash cards I’ll never have time to review. Doesn’t make much sense, I know.

I know it can be really difficult to switch up your study methods, but trust me, in the end you will get much better results with flash cards. I only studied 40-50 hours a week for 7 weeks, made around 1,000 flashcards, and got a 262. Many of my tutoring students struggle at first with wanting to stick to passive learning, but once they switch to active learning they quickly see how much more efficient it is. In 12 hours of reading, you will learn less than if you only spent 1 hour making flashcards, because anyone retains much less through passive learning (around only 5% of what you read is retained). Also, if you have 12 hours to spend reading, you definitely have plenty of time to review flash cards if you stop reading so much :)

I know it can be really difficult to switch up your study methods, but trust me, in the end you will get much better results with flash cards. I only studied 40-50 hours a week for 7 weeks, made around 1,000 flashcards, and got a 262. Many of my tutoring students struggle at first with wanting to stick to passive learning, but once they switch to active learning they quickly see how much more efficient it is. In 12 hours of reading, you will learn less than if you only spent 1 hour making flashcards, because anyone retains much less through passive learning (around only 5% of what you read is retained). Also, if you have 12 hours to spend reading, you definitely have plenty of time to review flash cards if you stop reading so much :)
I did Uworld & made flashcards & currently reviewing them and timing myself with uworld Q. What do you suggest me to do next? NBME or CMS or Kap Qbank? Thanks.