SouthEast Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to send in my application tonight and getting kinda excited, but realized when adding the programs... I really dont know much about them. So Ive been reading around SDN for over an hour and have heard little about any South east programs. Only a little on Emory, LSU and Jackson but almost nothing on the other programs. Can anyone give some advice about what some of the programs are like? Good rep? Bad rep? ect. Im planning to apply to:

UAB-Birmingham
Emory- Atlanta
Carolinas-Charlotte nc
UNC-Chaple hill nc
UK-Lexington Ky
USF-Tampa, Fl
Jackson-miami
U of Louisville, ky
LSU-New Orleans
Pitt co.-Greenville nc

Members don't see this ad.

There should be plenty of info on LSU as DC2MD is there and has posted several remarks on their program.

Check the past interview trail thread. I know I wrote a review on Carolinas.

Check out Carolinas-Charlotte Rehab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might want to add UVA to your list, particularly if you are interested in sports medicine.

MCV and EVMS are also in the region

agree with MCV (which probably shows up as VCU in ERAS) and Carolinas-Charlotte, Jackson looked good last year and there was a lot of positive buzz about Emory on the trail

What was good about the Miami program that you saw, DOctorjay?

What was good about the Miami program that you saw, DOctorjay?

very good program overall, even though it is very new. lots of excellent attendings from other great programs (Kessler, UW, RIC, etc.). PM&R highly respected there and lots of interaction with neurosurg and ortho. Lots of money going into the department. One of the best VA's I saw on the trail with MSK ultrasound being taught there, lots of research in the VA as well. Miami project is here. search some of the interview trail from last year, at least one post reviewed the program.

J

I've read those reviews; it seemed like everyone has said it's "up and coming", but then the interview post in the database section of SDN was disappointing. I'm a bit surprised that there is alot of respect for the program, since, being under Ortho, there's always the chance of being given the short end of the stick. But, I still applied to the program. :smuggrin:

under ortho? not sure where you got that from. I don't recall that at all.

When asking about different programs, that's what I was told about them. Guess I was wrong; thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
very good program overall, even though it is very new. lots of excellent attendings from other great programs (Kessler, UW, RIC, etc.). PM&R highly respected there and lots of interaction with neurosurg and ortho. Lots of money going into the department. One of the best VA's I saw on the trail with MSK ultrasound being taught there, lots of research in the VA as well. Miami project is here. search some of the interview trail from last year, at least one post reviewed the program.

J

Highly respected? Really?

Over the years, there are a number of well-known (and not so well-known) physiatrists who have attempted to serve as Chairs or staff and left frustrated from the experience.

I wish the current Chair there well. Perhaps she will have the magic touch.

that was the impression I received last year as apparently there is new leadership (someone who came from Duke?).

I reviewed a couple of those on the list on scutwork.com a few years back when I was interviewing. Try checking out that site.

The chair at Miami, Diana Cardenas, came from the U of Washington in Seattle. She is considered one of the leading experts in Spinal Cord Injury, and is very qualified to be a chair (it was a good hire for Miami)

that was the impression I received last year as apparently there is new leadership (someone who came from Duke?).

to avoid any confusion, the above statement relates to hospital leadership, not the PM&R program specifically.

Don't forget to take a close look at Univ of Kentucky. I've enjoyed my time here; its a small program with a separate stand-alone rehab hospital. In general, graduates have gotten to do what they want to do -- peds fellowship, Spine/Sports fellowship, Pain fellowship, solo private practice, medical directorship.