Southern Cali. programs

Started by MattG7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MattG7

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I have done quite a bit of searching and have come up with some responses. However, I do have some specific questions regarding Southern California post-bacc programs. My options are:

USC
Scripps
CSULA
Chapman

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the CSULA program and the acceptance rate to med schools (and support versus say USC). What I have read on this forum is mostly "did you get in yet?" but there wasn't too much on the actual quality of the program. I have heard on the Non-traditional forum that letters from CSULA are viewed as "lesser" compared to, say, USC. .. but I am unsure of my chances on getting into the other formal post baccs.

USC undergrad - psychology major - GPA 3.03
Pepperdine graduate - MA in clinical psych - GPA 4.00
GRE - 740 quan / 560 verb / 5.5 written

Volunteered at a hospital, currently an MFT trainee, shadowed some doctors, research experience, multiple other work experiences.

Just very concerned about my fall 2011 apps as I've heard they are quite competitive. 🙂

Any opinions on the above programs would be welcome (especially CSULA and the quality of the program).
 
Have you taken any of the prereqs yet? I applied to CSULA program last year but withdrew my app before I had a decision made (cost too much) but there was a thread dedicated to CSULA though. I think for them you had to have the prereqs done, I remember reading that but I might be wrong.

Also, have you looked at applying to the UC post-bac programs? I know UCI, and UCLA have them. I think SDSU might have something too if you're only looking at Socal. I ended up just signing up for UCLA extension classes because it was the most affordable but it really depends on how structured of a program you're looking for.

You should call Pat at CSULA I believe she is the one that deals with the apps. She's really nice and can answer all your questions about the program.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the advice! I have NOT completed any of the pre-reqs. I thought CSU-LA was for people who hadn't completed any of them also?

In regards to the UC programs, I was under the impression that one had to have the pre-reqs done, or taken the MCAT, or something? Am I wrong in that regard?

I really was hoping to find a structured program for the support, assistance in applications, etc.
 
Oh I see...yes I do think you need to it says here "Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 in all Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math courses."

Source: http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/biol/certprehealth.php


I would look into the programs you have listed in your first post. I think those might be the best for you. I'm not sure what else is out there for those with little to no science. I know Mills college also has a postbac but it's in Oakland.