Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here go to SIU? Just found out I am waitlisted...I really dont know what my chances are of getting in. I am an in-state resident. I have a feeling I might not find out for a while. Anyway, any thoughts on SIU in terms of the school itself as well as where you live (Edwardsville or in Alton or even St. Louis) and transporation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi bullsfan,

I was accepted into SIU after being on the waitlist for 2 months. Were you just informed that you were waitlisted? I'm not sure what your chances are of still getting in but this might be good news; the class size will be 50 freshman and there were only 30-35 students at the 1st orientation this saturday. Maybe there's still 15-20 open slots? Also, it seems 95% of the students that go to SIU are from Southern Illinois. By simple statistics, students from the area are definitely prefered.

I am actually from the Chicago-land area...so I am not sure if that hurts my chances. When were you put on the waitlist (after an interview or just randomly...I know they dont interview per se as mentioned in the application and by admissions department except in certain situations) and how many kids do you think they as a school have on it? The reason I ask is because I know they only get like 500 applications total and compared to larger schools (who get over 2000) I would assume their waitlist would be pretty small, or at least hope so. I know at other schools waitlists can be as long as 50 people. Anyway, I was put on the list randomly and was informed on March 11 by infosource and verified it with SIU that I was waitlisted. If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted immediately after they got my application ;) around mid-January. The letter came march 5. Also, let me rephrase my last statement. I think that perhaps the school is so full of people from southern illinois because it gets many more applicants from southern illinois. I know people at UIC who didn't even consider applying to SIU out of prejudice or something. The reason is Alton, and it is a HUGE step down from Chicago. I'm also from Chicago, and I have an average DAT and GPA but I still got in so the evidence also points to no regional preference.

I have the same info regarding the a applicant pool and waiting list so that's good news. SIU sends applications to the committee at the middle of every month and it takes two weeks. It's possible the new wave of acceptances will go out tomorrow. You should call them. They'll tell you everything you want to know about the application timeline.

I'm currently a first year dental student here at SIU. I too am from northern Illinois...Rockford to be specific. I found out that I had been accepted February 14 last year. I was never waitlisted, but I have a good friend here who was waitlisted last year and found out that she had been accepted in May. Rumor has it that there is also a student in our class that found out last minute in August that he had been accepted. Don't give up hope! :)

I will be starting at SIU in August. I would say that you should definitely keep your hopes up because at the orientation, as dentaltom stated, there were only 30-35 peeps that showed up. I would also say that few of them that I spoke to were still deciding between a couple of schools. They weren't committed yet. So keep your head up and stay in touch with the school. Keep showing them that you are very interested.

Good Luck!

I hate to keep pestering everyone....but if any of you could make an educated guess...how many do you think would be on the waitlist?? I am thinking around 30??? I know it cant be more than like 50...at least I really hope not. I am almost positive that I am not going to know one way or the other if I got in until around August (its fine for now but its near impossible to sit and wait). Anybody know of anyone who applied and got rejected? Essentially, could any applicant who was not accepted be on the waitlist?? I hate to sound so down, its just my stats really dont measure up to the scores listed in ANY Pre-Dental Education guides (ie Barrons, etc). I really dont know that this plays a role but my father is a dentist (assisted at his office for 8 months) however he went to UIC. Anyway, I guess I will just keep bugging the admissions office. Anyone in particular to hunt down...maybe the dean.....or anyone else?? Telephone numbers (other than the admission office) on the SIU website are really hard to find. Lastly, Toothdoctor.....what are your thoughts on SIU as a school and Alton, IL?? Is it hard to be around so many Cardinal fans (j/k)?? Seriously though any feedback on SIU would be extremely appreciated. Thanks for everyones support. Hopefully I will see everyone in the fall.

I just called SIU and they said the committee has made a decision. Unfortunately, it was not made in my favor. Apparently, they put about 100-120 students on the waitlist and admit/reject from there. Any thoughts on what to do for next time? I know about Masters programs/post-bacc programs and was thinking of enrolling in a Masters Degree program at a University in Chicago. The problem: the lag year of either program. Is it worth it to a) go ahead and reapply for 2005 with one semesters worth of work completed or b) wait until everything is completed and apply for 2006 or c) apply both years?? The person I talked to in the admissions office made it clear that an MS was favored (over upper level post-bacc undergraduate level course work). I know studying very hard for the DAT will produce results, however, I feel like an advanced program will help me learn the most concepts that are tested on DAT (science related) and will give me a degree in science that I do not have (although non-traditional applicants arent less favored). Additionally, I would have a Masters Degree. Anyway, I am pretty bummed. I knew this was going to happen but when I got waitlisted, I really thought there was hope especially at a smaller school like SIU.

Bullsfan,

I think if you were not accepted this month, your application still has May, June, and July to go before a commitee. The closer to August 5 that we get the lower the chances are but ,remember, there's still open slots and ,like openwyd22 said, several students at orientation were still not committed to SIU.

Also Openwyd22, did we by any chance meet at SIU? I would have introduced myself as Tom.

I am not really sure what you meant by:
dentaltom said:
I think if you were not accepted this month, your application still has May, June, and July to go before a commitee. The closer to August 5 that we get the lower the chances are but ,remember, there's still open slots and ,like openwyd22 said, several students at orientation were still not committed to SIU.

What is the August 5th date signify, the first day of official orientation? When I called SIU, the person (admission counselor) on the phone made it clear that the committee met and came to a decision which was to reject my application. If what you are saying is true (essentially re-reviewing the applications each month) then I would be more than ecstatic. Anyway, I am not so sure this is the case. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

-Dave

BUMP.

Can any SIU applicants....those who have been accepted/waitlisted....list their stats?

thanks
ULTRON

Accecpted in December:

3.5 19/17 DAT (From S. Illinois)

I applied in December and was accepted in March.

19AA
18PAT

I applied last summer (July maybe) and my stats: 3.35 GPA with 19AA and
19 PA.

Tom, my name is Nic. I am not sure if we met at the orientation or not. Where are you from again?

Nic,

I'm from Chicago. I'm not sure I think we might have met. That was the day of the NFL draft; there were four or five of us talking about the Bear's draft... one of them was Nic---might have been you?

In any case, good luck next semester and see you there.

Tom

I applied mid July.
GPA 3.4ish
DAT 22 PA 19

Waitlisted in January.