Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this looks like it should be a thread on the pre-dent forum, however, I have a few questions for those of you who know about SIU School of Dental Medicine:

1) I am going to Alton Friday for a "visit" (in state applicant). I know they dont interview, but how highly do they look upon an applicant when they come to visit the school?

2) Because it will be after December 1 and it is going to be an interview-like setting, is it possible to get an on-the-spot acceptance? How soon could I find out (basically would I have to wait until Jan. 15th when people start sending in deposits)?

3) Anything else I should know?

I have an 18/17/16 (AA/TS/PAT) and a 3.4 gpa. I know my DAT isnt stellar, but from what the person who answers questions in the admission office said, its decent. Anything else, let me know. I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi BullsFan,

I'm a first year student at SIU. The interview will be extremely informal and lasts between 15 and 30 minutes. The rest of the time will be sent seeing the campus. So that means you only have a short time to impress them. But if you say all the right things....you should be just fine. I knew walking out of the interview that I was in (from what they said). But the committee has to meet and you won't get notice for a couple weeks (depending on when the committee meets next).

Good Luck Tommorow!

My name is Laura Richards....if that helps you at all tomorrow.

I appreciate the info...a few people who have done this have stated that the interviewer gives you an indication of where you stand at the end. Are you from IL??? Actually, I messed up, I am scheduled for next Friday, I meant to say that but have been a little careless lately. Hopefully I will get to meet you. Hows SIU itself? Do you like it there? Here in Chicago, we really have no clue as to how the school is at SIU, but have heard great things and have met dentists who have nothing but good things to say about the school. The only bad thing I hear about is location of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bullfan, I almost went to siu so here's my take:

Pros:
Cheap
Good school
Great board scores

Cons (for me):
Small class size
Alton, Il -- If you're not from S. Illinois, this could be a huge change for you. Although, I grew up about 40 min east of Alton, and it's not really that horrible.

I’m not sure whether or not they look highly upon applicants who visit the school, but I’m sure that it couldn’t hurt. I would suggest making it “very clear” that you have ties to the region and plan on practicing there following graduation ;) Again, for the price SIU is a very good school, for me it just came down to the location . I didn’t think that I would be happy there over four years, and know a D3 student there who is very unhappy…best of luck.

Bullfan

Don't take the visit lightly. I found my "informal interview" to be just as serious as "official interviews" at other schools.

Zurik gave good advice about ties to the area. They asked me specifically where I want to practice. They want to hear that you will practice in a underserved rural area in central/southern Illinois.

Personally, I think having a smaller class size is great. I would've gone to Colorado if I could -- I think their class size is only in the 20's. I guess everyone has their tastes...

Zurik5 said:
Bullfan, I almost went to siu so here's my take:

Pros:
Cheap
Good school
Great board scores

Cons (for me):
Small class size
Alton, Il -- If you're not from S. Illinois, this could be a huge change for you. Although, I grew up about 40 min east of Alton, and it's not really that horrible.

I’m not sure whether or not they look highly upon applicants who visit the school, but I’m sure that it couldn’t hurt. I would suggest making it “very clear” that you have ties to the region and plan on practicing there following graduation ;) Again, for the price SIU is a very good school, for me it just came down to the location . I didn’t think that I would be happy there over four years, and know a D3 student there who is very unhappy…best of luck.

I visited SIU in April of 2004, before I applied to dental schools. I am an IL resident, current applicant for this cycle, and I really want to go to SIU for dental school, but was crestfallen to not recieve an acceptance Dec. 1 from SIU. Should I visit again since the first visit was before I applied? Would this help or be pointless?