Southern/Southwestern Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownsdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The threads I've been able to find on here about such programs may be old our out-dated so I kinda wanted to see what current reputations/opinions are of some of the following programs in states surrounding Texas.

Louisiana? - Threads I saw in here were made around the time of the hurricane so alot was up in the air. How are these few programs doing now, and how competetive are they?

Also wondering more about Arkansas, Oklahoma (heard it was good), Arizona...

I figure fresh feedback is always good.

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma is EXCELLENT, very well known faculty, high number of surgeries and they are building a brand new facility. No program in New Mexico.

dean mcgee (oklahoma) is terrific. i loved everything about it except that it was in oklahoma. the faculty is amazing, the surgical #s are unreal and the facilities are beautiful.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any opinion/info on the ut memphis program???

anyone have any opinion/info on the ut memphis program???

I liked UT memphis's program a lot. They are esp strong in plastics and oncology. Dr. Haik, the chair, is well known from what I hear. I know in the past they were very spread out but they have a new eye center and everything seemed to be more centralized. They have an amazing wet lab with a surgery simulator. One downside is Memphis, I for one love the town but a lot of people don't. In can be a dangerous town esp downtown but it has improved over the years.

I second everyone's thought on Oklahoma, it is an amazing program.

LSU - shreveport: I didn't interview there but have heard they have very strong surgery numbers. I just couldn't see myself living there (have visited before). As far as the New Orleans programs I don't know about them but have heard LSU is doing better than Tulane.

Arkansas - I was impressed with them, strong surgery numbers. Seem to be strongest in Peds and neuro. Amazing facilites, they have like a 9-story eye institute. One downside is the staggered start, unless you get the first start.