1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern/Southwestern Programs?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by brownsdawg, Mar 7, 2007.

1. brownsdawg

brownsdawg Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The threads I've been able to find on here about such programs may be old our out-dated so I kinda wanted to see what current reputations/opinions are of some of the following programs in states surrounding Texas.

Louisiana? - Threads I saw in here were made around the time of the hurricane so alot was up in the air. How are these few programs doing now, and how competetive are they?

Also wondering more about Arkansas, Oklahoma (heard it was good), Arizona...

I figure fresh feedback is always good.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GAA

GAA
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oklahoma is EXCELLENT, very well known faculty, high number of surgeries and they are building a brand new facility. No program in New Mexico.

4. 4424

4424 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    dean mcgee (oklahoma) is terrific. i loved everything about it except that it was in oklahoma. the faculty is amazing, the surgical #s are unreal and the facilities are beautiful.

5. futureidoc

2+ Year Member

anyone have any opinion/info on the ut memphis program???

6. MR1

MR1
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I liked UT memphis's program a lot. They are esp strong in plastics and oncology. Dr. Haik, the chair, is well known from what I hear. I know in the past they were very spread out but they have a new eye center and everything seemed to be more centralized. They have an amazing wet lab with a surgery simulator. One downside is Memphis, I for one love the town but a lot of people don't. In can be a dangerous town esp downtown but it has improved over the years.

I second everyone's thought on Oklahoma, it is an amazing program.

LSU - shreveport: I didn't interview there but have heard they have very strong surgery numbers. I just couldn't see myself living there (have visited before). As far as the New Orleans programs I don't know about them but have heard LSU is doing better than Tulane.

Arkansas - I was impressed with them, strong surgery numbers. Seem to be strongest in Peds and neuro. Amazing facilites, they have like a 9-story eye institute. One downside is the staggered start, unless you get the first start.

7. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i thought colorado was a great program with brand new facilities in a cool city