Special Circumstance.

Started by skuuduut
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with above and say describe it like you did here. It is an issue that needs to be addressed but it should not prevent you from getting in. I really hope that girl is out of your life.
 
From what you described its a simple your word vs hers and I would immediately appeal/ file a grievance to have it wiped off your academic record so you don't ever have to mention it on a school or license application or down the road when/ if you apply for hospital practice privileges. Every application or license or anything I have ever filled out has questions asking something to the effect "Have you ever been disciplined, suspended, etc from an academic institution for personal/ moral conduct concerns blah blah blah."
If her complaint was as unfounded as you described I think you should also (I definitely would) discuss her accusation with a university administrator and/or an attorney to determine your rights and options to levy defamation charges against this bitch for emotional duress the accusations have caused you and for potential future professional harm to your career for having something like this (even just the accusation of which can be damaging) on your record. Otherwise this ***** (like the Duke lacrosse bitch) will go on scott free making up bull#$%^ and wrecking other men any given time she doesn't get her way.
 
From what you described its a simple your word vs hers and I would immediately appeal/ file a grievance to have it wiped off your academic record so you don't ever have to mention it on a school or license application or down the road when/ if you apply for hospital practice privileges. Every application or license or anything I have ever filled out has questions asking something to the effect "Have you ever been disciplined, suspended, etc from an academic institution for personal/ moral conduct concerns blah blah blah."
If her complaint was as unfounded as you described I think you should also (I definitely would) discuss her accusation with a university administrator and/or an attorney to determine your rights and options to levy defamation charges against this bitch for emotional duress the accusations have caused you and for potential future professional harm to your career for having something like this (even just the accusation of which can be damaging) on your record. Otherwise this ***** (like the Duke lacrosse bitch) will go on scott free making up bull#$%^ and wrecking other men any given time she doesn't get her way.

+1

OP, assuming your story is correct, you should really get this cleared because it's not your fault. This shouldn't hold you back from your dreams. Things happen to people who don't deserve it, and you are probably one of them. But you still have a great shot for medical school and I hope for the best.
 
From what you described its a simple your word vs hers and I would immediately appeal/ file a grievance to have it wiped off your academic record so you don't ever have to mention it on a school or license application or down the road when/ if you apply for hospital practice privileges. Every application or license or anything I have ever filled out has questions asking something to the effect "Have you ever been disciplined, suspended, etc from an academic institution for personal/ moral conduct concerns blah blah blah."

that's not true. AMCAS for instance requires you to list ANY academic disciplinary received EVEN IF it is not on your record anywhere. i don't know about later applications for residency or licensing, but in the case of AMCAS he HAS to report it.
 
What could possibly make her do something like this? You should really appeal if things are as you described. It makes me dread the day I misread a come on signal, go in for a kiss, get rejected and face a sexual harassment law suit the next day.

Go on avvo.com to post a question about your situation. Include as many details as you possibly can. It does not substitute for real legal counseling but at least you will have a rough idea of where you stand on your chances of appealing the decision.

If the permanent record is not there how could medical schools ever know about this having happened? Appeal, demand to school to wipe it out and answer no to the question for the rest of your life.

All this assuming you are on the right about this whole incident.
 
There could be many reasons why she did this. Perhaps I'll never know, but I don't think it's healthy to think about it. All I can say is BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHO YOU INVOLVE YOURSELF WITH. This is the last thing I thought would ever happen to me. Never in my life did I think I would ever have a problem like this.

Does anyone exactly how medical schools find out about the situation? The administrator handling the case said that it would appear on my official transcripts, but that it would be erased from my record once I graduate. Of course, I fancied the idea of taking a year off after I graduate, but then I realized that AMCAS asks if I've ever been in trouble.. Also, why would my school delete that off my record after I graduate? Do you think my school would really go through the effort to erase it? (Maybe I'm overly hopeful, but I've thought that the administrator didn't even put it on my record... After we talked about the resolution, he seemed to brush it under the table and started discussing other issues with other people immediately, as if my case was something he just wanted to make go away.) I'm definitely going to order an official transcript to see what I can find.

Thanks again guys.

Gunners gonna gun. Does she want to pursue medicine? If so, she threw you under the bus.

That girl is a complete and utter bitch. OP, I am genuinely sorry about what happened. You do need to disclose, but make it abundantly clear that you had consent. Maaaaaaaaaan, girls are evil sometimes.
 
There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to respond to OP's unfortunate situation. Casually throwing around sexist profane insults, when you only really know one side of the story, is uncalled for. Some of the other posters (aSagacious, JohnnyCage, et al.) were sensible enough in their posts to avoid piling on the hate session.
 
Last edited:
There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to respond to OP's unfortunate situation. Casually throwing around sexist profane insults, when you only really know one side of the story, is uncalled for. Some of the other posters (aSagacious, JohnnyCage, et al.) were sensible enough in their posts to avoid piling on the hate session.


Get over yourself
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can already see which one of you will be a disgruntled ER doc in the future.

And which one will be a pediatrician.
 
Hi all and mentors,

I'm new at this and didn't know where else to post this. I read the sticky up top but it was locked and I didn't know where else to write. My apologies.

I am a junior, planning on applying next cycle. 3.91 GPA, MCAT next spring. Shadowing a neurosurgeon now, have shadowed a neurointerventional radiologist and cardiologist in the past. Volunteered/ volunteering at hospital, dental clinic, around the community, plan on working closely with teenagers with cancer, in the process of going abroad for a medical mission, intramurals, TA for an intro to chem class for 1.5 years, and other stuff. And by the time I apply I will have done 1.5 years of clinical research within division of my state uni's COM.

I am writing to you because I am very nervous about a certain incident that happened in the beginning of my freshman year. I've talked to many people about it who say it's not much to worry about, but it's hard to stay positive sometimes.

A female student and I had had an intimate relationship on and off throughout high school. She goes to the same university as me, and we hung out one night. All seemed normal and our interaction was friendly and comfortable, but about two days later I got in trouble. Apparently, things that were not okay, even though I got NO signs of discomfort, even when I asked. I always clearly, verbally communicate to stay on the same page and make sure everything is okay, but that night there were no red flags. I have never had a problem like this before, and haven't had any problems like this since then. I was not accused of rape or sexual battery.

Given the details of the incident and my active cooperation with the university to get this issue resolved, I was given a one-semester deferred suspension for violating the conduct code related to sexual harrassment. Normally for these types of violations, the university trespasses the accused student off campus immediately, followed by imposing at least a year long suspension or expulsion from the university if the student is found responsible at a formal hearing. In my case, however, given the details, I was not required to go to a formal hearing, I was not trespassed off campus, I was not required to miss any classes, I lost no student privileges, I was never arrested, and no charges were ever pressed. I was only required to have no contact with her, and to write an essay. Essentially, I was put on probabtion, but it was a deferred suspension.

I know I am required to disclose this, and I will, and I have no problem talking about this issue. I am also aware of the tremendous amount of trust patients put into their physicians, and I just want to let you all know that I have never hurt anyone in my life deliberately, I have never gotten into ANY trouble in my life prior to this, and I have a big heart if you all got to know me. I can't be anymore honest than this.

How will this be viewed?

Thank you for your time.

Something like this happened to a friend of mine and it black listed him at a lot of schools. He ended up calling many of the deans and explaining but only a few were willing to hear him out.

If it isn't going to appear on your record anywhere I wouldn't disclose it. Med schools are very sensitive about this type of thing. You will be alone with female patients and if there is even a hint of impropriety in your past they aren't going to take the risk.
 
You are in a situation that no one wants to be in. The punishment was not very severe and some adcoms may interpret this as a slap on the wrist for a very minor transgression. How you describe that transgression could determine whether or not it is the kiss of death.

The take home message for anyone accussed of something they didn't do is "don't plea bargain". If you aren't guilty, fight to clear your name because once you have the school taking an "institutional action" against you, you are obligated to report it on the AMCAS application.




Also, OP, rather than tresspass, I think the word you want is escort.
 
sorry, trespass is the word they use so I just copied that.

But from the way I described what happened above, do you think my chances are over? Is there any other way I can get more adcoms to look at this? This has been causing me a lot of emotional duress. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

You don't need to spill it here but what you've written is too cryptic. What do you mean by "I got in trouble". Who accused you and of what? Was this person a girlfriend in HS, friend with benefits, or some other relationship? You would need to be more candid on the application.

You might say
A female student with whom I had had an intimate relationship on and off throughout high school and I attend the same university One night during freshman year we were intimate. I always clearly, verbally communicated to stay on the same page and make sure everything was okay, and she raised no objections. Two days later she went to [authority] and accused me of [ charge]. I was forbidden to have contact with her, and had to write an essay. I was given a one-semester deferred suspension for violating the conduct code related to sexual harrassment. I had never had a problem like this before, and haven't had any problems like this since then.
 
Some schools do a committee letter or a pre-med advisor letter that will say that the student has not been the subject of any disciplinary action and does not have any pending, either. If your school does that, then you'll need to skip the letter (a red flag) or wait a year after graduation before requesting a letter. Either way, failing to report an institutional action can be worse than the action itself.
 
Can I avoid having to disclose anything by taking a year off after I graduate? If my disciplinary records are destroyed, nothing appears on my academic transcript, and I wasn't charged or even arrested for anything, how can medical schools find out?

Because you have integrity and will tell them. How will you answer the AMCAS question "have you ever received any institutional action"? The answer is obviously yes. You did it, now take responsibility for it.

I don't know why anyone here on SDN is trying to help this kid lie.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the AMCAS, you get to tell your side of the story. Adcoms are not idiots and those of us who have read the university policies that trample on civil rights and involve kangaroo courts will take the IA with a grain of salt (or a lump of salt). The fact that the action (punishment) was so minor speaks to the severity of the "crime" and will be taken into account.

People with IAs do get interviews and they do get admitted and they do matriculate. People who lie and who are caught lying are not as fortunate.
 
Are you kidding me? You think if I actually did something I would still be in school and not have been even arrested? I got thrown under a bus, and you're damn lucky it hasn't happened to you. I'm looking for advice to help my future. It saddens me that today anyone in college can throw around a blatant lie and ruin someone. I can easily say I went into a room with you, alone, and you started to harass me. Yeah, you probably won't get convicted legally, but neither will I if I "swear" by my story, and you will have to deal with a bunch of **** just to clear your name, especially if you're in college.

And as a matter of fact I am probably going to end up telling them. There has to people people on the adcoms who understand what truly happened here.

But, I am looking to avoid disclosing as an option because you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH.
👍

Keep on trekking OP. Sad to say that in this country all it takes is an accusation an no conviction to ruin a persons life. And yes, we are all damn lucky it hasn't happened to us.

Best of luck