"Special" PostBacc Program...Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Johhny5Alive

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone!
I had a crazy idea and wanted to know everyone's thoughts/opinion!

I am currently an MS1 at St. George's University in Grenada. Has anyone ever tried to apply to a US Med School using their past experience at a foreign medical school as gpa booster?

Please note my idea is to apply as a general incoming student, NOT AS A TRANSFER.

Some Basic Facts about myself:
GWU 09 with Major: BioMedical Engineering Minor: BioPhysics
Overall GPA 3.0 Science GPA 3.25 MCAT: 27 (All 9's)
Some Research Tons of Volunteer/Shadow work
Current GPA at SGU is 3.5

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
 
I think it's legit to want to bail on the Carib, but I personally don't think your performance in the Carib is going to help a new app to US med schools. They can't use it as a basis from which to compare you to other applicants. In your shoes I'd retake the MCAT, and apply during an SMP.

I hope you're paying close attention to your debt load - might be worth working for a couple years before you take this on.

Here's a blog from a guy who transferred from SGU to Drexel a few years ago. http://rumorsweretrue.wordpress.com/

Best of luck to you.