specialized medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5h09un

Reaction score
i am a non-traditional with an education/economic research background. i have done a lot of coursework in math and statistics in addition to my economics education and i'm working full time now for the central bank of the united states as a research assistant. i am also involved on the side in some empirical health economics research with a team of physicians and economists.

in another post, i saw someone mention the carle illinois medical school. i just checked it out and it seems pretty interesting. i like that it seems like i would continue to be able to use my math skills as part of my education at this school if i were to go there one day. but i do wonder a bit about how good a fit i would be in a school that emphasizes math for engineering purposes when i've learned math to work in economic research.

regardless, are there other specialized schools like carle illinois out there? i use the word "specialized" in a broad sense here. maybe too broad. i'm especially interested in learning about schools where i could put my math skills and social science knowledge to work. george washington seems like one example of such a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I know Texas A&M's engineering school now has a joint venture with Houston Methodist for a specialized curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Carle is an outlier in that it likes engineering majors.

A fair number of med schools are Primary Care centric

The Really Good Schools (Harvard/Stanford) are more research loving and want to train leaders in academic Medicine.

The HBCs have a mission to train doctors of color.