Specializing after accelerated dental program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaelmo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering how difficult it is to specialize if you go to an accelerated dental program such as the University of the Pacific 2+3 or 3+3.

I'm sure I want to go into dentistry and will probably specialize in something if I can. Is this possible if I take the shortcut or is it easier to do the traditional route with 4 years undergrad then 4 years dental school.

How is UoP Dental? I know UCSF and UCLA are pretty good if you want to specialize but I don't know much about UoP.

Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

People specialize from all schools. Your performance in dental school is what will matter

You can specialize from anywhere , but generally the more time to pad your résumé the better. So the traditional route is probably easier compared to an accelerated route. Also i would venture to guess with more experience and maturity under your belt, the more manageable dental school would be--> better performace in DS. But if you're an all-star time manager and extremely intelligent, anything can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
D.D.S/D.M.D. degrees do not have an A in the title designating accelerated programs.

Watch out with those programs. As some do not give you a bachelors. Some specialties require a bachelors degree.

Watch out with those programs. As some do not give you a bachelors. Some specialties require a bachelors degree.

Can you name one, if not some, of the early admission programs and a single specialty that requires a B degree?

Last edited:
Can you name one, if not some, of the early admission programs and a single specialty that requires a B degree?

Most (if not all) of the 6-year OMFS programs require a bachelor's degree for acceptance into the med school. That is the only specialty I can think of that would require a bachelor's degree.

Most (if not all) of the 6-year OMFS programs require a bachelor's degree for acceptance into the med school. That is the only specialty I can think of that would require a bachelor's degree.

By golly, we will consider an applicant for the OMFS only if a D.D.S./D.M.D. degree was preceded by a B.S/B.A. After all, a dental degree is less significant than a bachelor's degree. Never mind that the applicant is otherwise an "enfant terrible". While there is no doubt that there may be some programs that specifically require a B.S./B.A., UCLA, Columbia, Penn and Tennessee, to name a few, do not mention anything other than a dental degree requirement.