Specializing and Bachelor's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onix

Viper never dies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to hear from schools on Dec 1st. I think I have a good chance of getting in without my Bachelors degree. How important is having a bachelors degree to get into post graduate programs?
Do post graduate adcoms differentiate between an applicant w/ and applicant w/o a degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, youre doing something I was too afraid to attempt (getting in without a Bachelors degree). I respect your confidence, and future congratulations on your eventual acceptance.

Good question. Something else to consider is that a lot of specialty programs are combined certificate/masters degree programs - can you get a masters degree without a bachelors? Probably depends on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
simple answer, only OMFS/MD programs care. Medical school requires the BS/BA, except in a few areas, I believe Texas...

simple answer, only OMFS/MD programs care. Medical school requires the BS/BA, except in a few areas, I believe Texas...

I don't think this is actually true. Yes, "if" you have completed a BA/BS degree then some residencies may enquire about your grades... but its not a technical requirement for any residency. UOP in San Fran has a 5 year dental program for students right of high school and they don't combine it with a bachelors degree.. I don't think those who graduate from that program are barred from applying to OMFS/MD residencies or any other post graduate training program for that matter.

soo..

Aren't DDS or DMD degrees technically "undergraduate dental degrees".

Argh, I should have done this... I was too afraid for rejections. Congrats! It really does seem like you will make it without a degree.

Thank you for congrats! I'm crossing my fingers!

So I was looking at Prostho,Endo and Perio programs, non of those require a B.S degree of any sort. I am just wondering if all comes to be the same, will having the B.S make or break?

So I was looking at Prostho,Endo and Perio programs, non of those require a B.S degree of any sort. I am just wondering if all comes to be the same, will having the B.S make or break?

No

so what you future dentists' opinion is, should I take 20 credit hours of classes (almost 8-10 classes) per quarter for 2 quarters to graduate before summer?

DMD and DDS degrees are considered undergrad if you look at websites regarding specialty programs.

"Technically" they are professionals degrees.

This is true. What exactly is a "professional" degree? ... It is any degree which trains someone for a specific profession. (eg. dentistry, medicine, nursing, chiropractic, naturopathic, podiatry, law, physical therapy, vet, etc).

A general degree in arts or sciences (Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate in: arts, science, liberal arts, etc) are simply academic degrees which don't necessarily train you to enter a specific profession.

Dental degrees are technically "undergraduate professional degrees" which are the basic entry level degree required to practice as a general dentist. :thumbup:

There are many "postgraduate professional degrees" available for the profession of dentistry for those who wish to study for advanced/specialty training in dentistry (eg. MDS, MDSc, MSD, DMSc, DClinDent, etc).

A general degree in arts or sciences (Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate in: arts, science, liberal arts, etc) are simply academic degrees which don't necessarily train you to enter a specific profession.
Dental degrees are technically "undergraduate professional degrees" which are the basic entry level degree required to practice as a general dentist. :thumbup:
There are many "postgraduate professional degrees" available for the profession of dentistry for those who wish to study for advanced/specialty training in dentistry (eg. MDS, MDSc, MSD, DMSc, DClinDent, etc).

We are likely to find an army of professionals that will disagree with the assessment in the first sentence including, but not limited to, teachers, educators, engineers, musicians, nurses.
Any "professional" specialty "degree" designation with an M in it qualifies as an academic degree.

Last edited: