Specializing as a dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocBerg

I got in... Foooo show
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this thread goes towards the 3rd and 4th year students.

I am starting school in the fall and am curious to know what you have all acquired about the aspects of specializing. I know the programs look for grades, research, board I scores. But do you have any opinions on what it takes to get a specialty residency, or even an advanced general dentistry residency??

I am interested in pursuing an advanced general dentistry residency because I like the idea of being able able to dab into other areas within my competency. (Not knowing how competent ill be, but still!)

This question is equivalent I guess to an undergrad asking D students how to get in.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Post-grad programs look at the same thing dental school looks at: grades, board scores, interest in field, extracurriculars, etc. Certain programs place different weight on each of the above.

AEGDs and GPRs are generally less competitive than a specialty program.

Hup

oh..i didnt know there is specialization in dentistry...do you like specialize on just one particular teeth?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh..i didnt know there is specialization in dentistry...do you like specialize on just one particular teeth?

Yes, of course. I plan on specializing on the left canine, or whatever that tooth is called.

count me in for teeth 33, 36 and 40:D