Specializing as a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oohsonatural

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

A little about myself:

I currently have a BA in Psychology with honors blah blah. I am working as a research assistant doing Epi research on cervical cancer in Kenya. I originally thought I was interested in conducting research and pursuing a PhD, but after multiple years working in research, I am beginning to realize that the field lacks some very important qualities that I would desire in a career. I am weighing my options and am considering both PA and MD. I believe the MD would be worth the sacrifice that I am aware it requires, but I want to explore my options to ensure I don’t pursue a career based on prestige, potentially endless opportunities for research, admin. potential etc. (MD) when a career as a PA may offer me all the things that I desire in a career. I want to know as much as possible before choosing my path ☺

Is it true that you can change your "specialty" during your career?

Is it recommended to specialize while in school, or is it sufficient to gain on-the-job training?

Do students who specialize find separate "fellowships"or "residencies" outside of their PA program?

Thanks for your feedback.

*I have other questions but have elected to post them in individual threads*

Members don't see this ad.

The days of PAs changing specialities with ease is ending. Also you do a fellowship after graduation if you so choose.

If your less than 30, no kids, good mcat apply md/do.

speaking as a pa of almost 20 years listen very closely to the following advice:
go to medschool. don't look back. end of story.
I just got a job I truly enjoy after years working in the same field(em) and working in 3 states at multiple crappy jobs. probably only 5% of em pa's have a job as good as the one I just got. the vast majority do endless scut.

Members don't see this ad :)
The days of PAs changing specialities with ease is ending. Also you do a fellowship after graduation if you so choose.

If your less than 30, no kids, good mcat apply md/do.
I hear you loud and clear! Do you mind giving a few reasons you are so adamant about pursuing MD/DO?

speaking as a pa of almost 20 years listen very closely to the following advice:
go to medschool. don't look back. end of story.
I just got a job I truly enjoy after years working in the same field(em) and working in 3 states at multiple crappy jobs. probably only 5% of em pa's have a job as good as the one I just got. the vast majority do endless scut.
Thanks for this. When did you realize you would have gone for the MD rather than PA?
Also, have you had any opportunities to use the global health side of your degree? I'm particularly interested in being able to work in Africa for some short period of time...

1.) more respect(most important to me)
2.) more money
3.)better hours
4.)better training
5.)reaching my full potential. The glass ceiling of a Doc is tons higher than a PA.

thanks for this. When did you realize you would have gone for the md rather than pa?
Also, have you had any opportunities to use the global health side of your degree? I'm particularly interested in being able to work in africa for some short period of time...

1. 5 years after graduation from pa school.
2. I'm on 4 disaster medical teams(2 state, 1 federal, 1 international) amd have been on 7 international medical missions including haiti the week after the earthquake