Specializing from UOP Dugoni

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
  1. Dentist
    I doubt anyone will have hard data to show you. Historically, these schools have the highest specialty match rates per class (at 15% or more/class): harvard, columbia, penn, ucla, ucsf, uconn. Most other proven programs, such as UOP, hover around 10% match rate/class.

Keep in mind, this could mean several things including, more students from these programs choose to apply for specialty programs year over year.

About the Ads

Dr.dentist.dds

Aspiring dentist
    May 24, 2020
      I was asking more along the lines of (how many people apply)/(how many get matched), not how much of the class decides to specialize. Thanks for the response, though! I have to agree with your last statement, as I hear students from UoP generally want to practice general dentistry.

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
      Jun 24, 2015
      1. Dentist
        I was asking more along the lines of (how many people apply)/(how many get matched), not how much of the class decides to specialize. Thanks for the response, though! I have to agree with your last statement, as I hear students from UoP generally want to practice general dentistry.
        Maybe talk to recent graduates of UOP directly? Shoot them a DM on instagram or something.

Reactions: 1 user

elwaytime7

5+ Year Member
        Sep 30, 2014
        SF
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I’m a UoP grad in a 6 year - we match well. I’ll always view UoP as one of the best decisions I ever made. You will have to work hard regardless of where you go to dental school!

Reactions: 1 users

elwaytime7

5+ Year Member
          Sep 30, 2014
          SF
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Thanks! Did you have to take an intern year? Or straight in? Do you remember how many applied vs how many matched into a 6 year? Thanks again!!

I went straight in. But it all depends on when you start pursuing OMFS. It’s a difficult road for a lot of people but it isn’t exclusive by any means. In our class 2/2 applied and matched. Most people at UoP are interested in general dentistry but more and more students are applying to OMFS. I think I recently heard 9 people are applying.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.