Specializing in child psychology/developmental psychopathology with a Psy.d?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tears for susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe i am interested in Psy.D programs over Ph.D because i dont have the motive or patience to conduct tons of research.
I am wondering if someone can have a practice for child and adolescent psychology with the training they would receieve in a Psy.D program?
For example, Pacific University offers a psy.d with a speciality track in adolescent and child psychology (focus on disorders such as adhd and autism) but it does not grant you a specialized degree- just kind of prepares you for that directon a little more (it is still pretty generalist even with the specialized track)
What are the licensure requirements for being able to specialize in treating childhood disorders?
I am just not sure if i want to work in a general clinical environment or specialize in childhood disorders.

Members don't see this ad.

Licensure is at the doctoral level for "Clinical/Counseling Psychology", and there isn't a separate license for child, etc. It is important [in regard to ethical considerations] to gain appropriate study and supervision in the area(s) and population(s) you want to study, but a track/concentration is not necessary.

Typically a track/concentration is just a formalized cluster of classes in a particular area, but someone at another program can get a similar training in said area, as long as they have the appropriate study and supervision.

This issue often comes up with neuropsychology, and as long as you can study under one or more supervisors with the requisite training, you can be properly prepared to work in this area.