Specializing in Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What makes getting into this field so competitive? From what I gather, it seems that getting into a derm speciality easily is few and far between. I have rarely come across students that wanted to go through this field specifically, so has a new trend been started? Or am I the victim of signing up for SDN a little too late in my life to follow up with the current times.

Members don't see this ad.

braluk said:
What makes getting into this field so competitive? From what I gather, it seems that getting into a derm speciality easily is few and far between. I have rarely come across students that wanted to go through this field specifically, so has a new trend been started? Or am I the victim of signing up for SDN a little too late in my life to follow up with the current times.
No new trend.Derm has been competitive since the 1970s.Much more over the past 10 years as med school enrollments have increase and desire for "lifestyle" friendly fields has increased..Low number of first year positions ~260,makes this specialty always difficult.