specializing in the navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin512

:)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be competitive in the Navy are you pretty much required to complete a AEGD or something of that sort? I don't want to get stuck in the "almagam line" as some people have said.

After the initial payback of 4 years, how many years would it take me to complete OMFS, Pros, or an Ortho residency in the Navy (payback and education)?

Members don't see this ad.

To be competitive in the Navy are you pretty much required to complete a AEGD or something of that sort? I don't want to get stuck in the "almagam line" as some people have said.

After the initial payback of 4 years, how many years would it take me to complete OMFS, Pros, or an Ortho residency in the Navy (payback and education)?

Some residencies take new dental school graduates into residencies right out of school. Typically the resiedencies that accept new grads are Comp, Pros, and OMFS. Comp had two new dental school grads in last years class but did not accept any this year. It really is dependant on the applicant pool for the year in which you are applying.

Ortho is a tough one to get even for active duty dentists so I wouldn't bank on getting ortho right out of d-school. Currently there are ~11 orthodontists in the entire Navy dental corps of ~1000 dentists. So there really isn't much need and demand for Ortho as far as the Navy is concerned.

OMFS is a four year program with four years of payback, Pros is three years with three years payback and Ortho is two a year program with three years payback.