specializing & undergrad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdepapas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering...when applying for specializations, how much do your undergrad grades matter? I already got accepted to dental school for the fall, and I have one more quarter of school to go. Most students let their grades drop a bit because they've already got accepted into dental, but could this affect them later on if they choose to apply for a specialization? If your transcript has mostly A's and this last quarter you get a C (and it will be your first)... do you think this looks bad because this shows that you slacked off?

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

there are a few recent threads about this already here. search for them. i think the final verdict is that some OMFS specialty programs require a minimum undergraduate GPA, especially the 6 year programs.

Given your situation, lots of As and a single C the final semester, I'd say it won't make much a difference at all when it comes to specialty programs. Remember, they are going to look at your level of involvment/leadership, class rank, and board scores prior to even thinking about your undergrad GPA.

Don't sweat it and have fun! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The nice thing is that you already have so many credits that one bad grade won't change your GPA that much. On the other hand, I could never handle a C and would at least put in a little more effort for the B. You've put in so much time already why not suck it up a little longer. I got one B at BYU and it was the spring before starting dental school so I slacked a little. Call it pride but to this day I regret that B.

Thanks for your replies.

I've decided to just suck it up for the last few days and try to ace my final like old times... Ithink it's true; it's a pride issue since we've all worked so hard in the past years... a couple more days of studying won't kill me. Thanks! :)

Are you kidding, you think a speciality is gonna look at your transcript for your final semester in college. You gotta be joking. Forget the class, go drink, party and get some ass.

NJDS #1 PARTY DENTAL SCHOOL