You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Specializing?
Started by eversonljosh
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
...how many years of school would that even take?I am a college freshman in a pre-med program. My goal is to become a Plastic Surgeon one day. While being a plastic surgeon, I also want to do Podiatry and dental work. Is that possible? I want to be able to work on the whole body's appearance.
Plastic surg - 4 years med school, 5? years residency
Podiatry - 4 years (!) + 2? years residency
Dental work - DDS 4 years?
OP are you sure you want to stay in school for 15 years after college graduation?
Why podiatry? Most people don't display their feet much. Why not hand surgery?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't necessarily want to do everything in podiatry and dental work, just a few cosmetic surgeries. Can I just encompass that with my plastics residency?
It looks like foot care is restricted to podiatrists. I guess plastic surgeons think it's beneath them.I don't necessarily want to do everything in podiatry and dental work, just a few cosmetic surgeries. Can I just encompass that with my plastics residency?
http://www.footcareofmanhattan.com/doctors/
http://www.drzeetser.com/About_the_Doctor.htm
http://www.nycfootcare.com/meet-your-team
You will likely change your interests by the time you get to medical school or during your time there so I really wouldn't think about it too much
Why not aim higher--you can also do some legal work at the supreme court and teach some anthropology classes at Vassar. All you need now is to become a MD/DPM/DDS/JD/PhD. 
But seriously, it's fine to have different interest, but be patient and do some shadowing to figure out which one you might like best.
But seriously, it's fine to have different interest, but be patient and do some shadowing to figure out which one you might like best.
I am a college freshman in a pre-med program. My goal is to become a Plastic Surgeon one day. While being a plastic surgeon, I also want to do Podiatry and dental work. Is that possible? I want to be able to work on the whole body's appearance.
Trying to do medicine, podiatry, and dentistry is unrealistic. You will bury yourself in student loans and there is absolutely no way you can practice medicine while pursuing a podiatry or dentistry degree. Each one of those requires full time commitment and there's only so many hours in a day.
Just do a plastic surgery residency and then do a lower extremity fellowship followed with a craniofacial fellowship. Hope you you're good at standardized board exams, because you're going to need to blow the competition out of the water your entire medical career to do something like that.
Last edited:
You should look into becoming a certified nurse assistant.
1/10 for not including chiropracty and ortho surgery
With a side of Dermatology 🙂1/10 for not including chiropracty and ortho surgery
And part time fire fighterWith a side of Dermatology 🙂
who happen to play some NBA and help rescue wild animals in Africa in his leisure time.And part time fire fighter
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP also survived a major plane crash and only has the ability to see in one eye. V impressive.who happen to play some NBA and help rescue wild animals in Africa in his leisure time.
There actually is a specialty that encompasses exactly what you want to do. It is called integrated podiodentomaxillopedomanocranial plastic interventionalist. I heard the residency is absolutely brutal, and you will routinely work 150 hours per week. It is also very competitive to get into, usually the program directors will screen you out if you have less than a 290 step 1. Also they only take medical students from top ten schools so make sure you ace the mcat and get a 4.0 in undergrad so you can make sure you can get into Harvard Stanford Hopkins etc. Good luck, I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!
liked for "podiodentomaxillopedomanocranial"
There actually is a specialty that encompasses exactly what you want to do. It is called integrated podiodentomaxillopedomanocranial plastic interventionalist. I heard the residency is absolutely brutal, and you will routinely work 150 hours per week. It is also very competitive to get into, usually the program directors will screen you out if you have less than a 290 step 1. Also they only take medical students from top ten schools so make sure you ace the mcat and get a 4.0 in undergrad so you can make sure you can get into Harvard Stanford Hopkins etc. Good luck, I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!
Thanks everyone for helping answer a serious question I had. Glad all of us are mature future doctors that love to help people *he says sarcastically*
You'll have a tough time in med school and residency if you can't take some harmless jokes..Thanks everyone for helping answer a serious question I had. Glad all of us are mature future doctors that love to help people *he says sarcastically*
Forgetting feet for the moment, what might work for you is OMFS followed by a year of facial plastic surgery.
Ah how could I forget about THE specialty.There actually is a specialty that encompasses exactly what you want to do. It is called integrated podiodentomaxillopedomanocranial plastic interventionalist. I heard the residency is absolutely brutal, and you will routinely work 150 hours per week. It is also very competitive to get into, usually the program directors will screen you out if you have less than a 290 step 1. Also they only take medical students from top ten schools so make sure you ace the mcat and get a 4.0 in undergrad so you can make sure you can get into Harvard Stanford Hopkins etc. Good luck, I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!
Podiatry, Dentistry, and Plastic Surgery are 3 separate pathways in terms of education and standardized testing and would be a ridiculous long time in terms of schooling.I am a college freshman in a pre-med program. My goal is to become a Plastic Surgeon one day. While being a plastic surgeon, I also want to do Podiatry and dental work. Is that possible? I want to be able to work on the whole body's appearance.
Thanks everyone for helping answer a serious question I had. Glad all of us are mature future doctors that love to help people *he says sarcastically*
I love how thought out this is.There actually is a specialty that encompasses exactly what you want to do. It is called integrated podiodentomaxillopedomanocranial plastic interventionalist. I heard the residency is absolutely brutal, and you will routinely work 150 hours per week. It is also very competitive to get into, usually the program directors will screen you out if you have less than a 290 step 1. Also they only take medical students from top ten schools so make sure you ace the mcat and get a 4.0 in undergrad so you can make sure you can get into Harvard Stanford Hopkins etc. Good luck, I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!
It looks like foot care is restricted to podiatrists. I guess plastic surgeons think it's beneath them.
Oh, you.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 648
- Replies
- 64
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K