Specialty Difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is devoted to sparking debate about the various qualifications and personality traits of various specialties. I've chosen to break them down by difficulty. This is meant to be humorous so nobody is allowed to get pissed...

Specialties: Derm, Ophtho, RadOnc, Plastics, NeuroSurg, maybe Ortho
Qualifications: 260+, H in everything, Daddy donates 1 mil to hospital
Traits: A strong desire to give back to the population, at no more than 40 hrs/wk, and serve those in need of Benzoyl Peroxide and fake knockers. Unless you're doing Onc, in which case you're more noble than I am.

Specialties: ENT, Urology, Radiology, Anesthesia
Qualifications: 240+, more H's than P's, A peculiar interest in doing odd things to people.
Traits: Obsession with gas, boogers, penises and/or catheters; or a desire to spend long amounts of time in a dark room, alone.

Specialties: OB/GYN, GenSurg, EM, Path, IM subspecialty
Qualifications: 210-220+, some H's
Traits: it's not necessary but probably helpful to be kind of a dork and/or @ss (except for ER in which case you'd get your @ss kicked). A desire for weird hours and gross patients, particularly for Path.

Specialties: FP, IM, PM&R, Peds
Qualifications: Pass Step 1 at some point in life, graduate, golf handicap of 4, likes goofy ties.
Traits: Enjoys chronic care, diverse patient populations, and low pay. Either that or hide in the realm of academia and tout your specialty as the most caring of all. Unless you're PM&R in which case I don't know why you'd ever leave private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho's not that bad. You just need to have daddy write letters to his friends that are at different programs around the country for you. ;) Or get yourself known in the department at your school by injuring yourself and seeing as many different people as possible.

Why does PM&R always take a beating on these threads?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does Psych fit in?

Why does PM&R always take a beating on these threads?

The same reason that people think pathologists do autopsies all day long. I think this thread is funny because its "supposed to spark" debate, but no one is allowed to get pissed, even though the OP uses sweeping generalizations about both the personalities and academic qualifications for each. Hey OP- have you done any rotations yet, seeing as though you are in the class of 2009?

Specialties: ENT, Urology, Radiology, Anesthesia
Qualifications: 240+, more H's than P's, A peculiar interest in doing odd things to people.
Actually, the average board score for the anesthesia match was under a 220.

Actually, the average board score for the anesthesia match was under a 220.

Yeah.... I was thinking that the Op's average board scores were high for most of the specialties listed. No doubt it would be best if a person had 260+ to get into certain competitive fields, but I think a lot of individuals manage to match into their field of choice with less than what the Op stated.

Okay, I'm sorry. This was supposed to poke fun at the stereotypes regarding specialties. I did so by making gross generalizations colored with sarcasm. The "spark debate" was meant to encourage more sarcasm, stereotypical comments, and other modes of humor. The "nobody is allowed to get pissed" was quite literal as I was hoping not to get flamed for making said sweeping generalizations. I tend to get a kick out of images such as the jock ortho or the nerdy pathologist, and I know several other people who do as well.

As far as board scores, those were my perceptions. I don't know why they were universally high, maybe I'm just pessimistic.

haha okay then lets try this:

derm: pimple-popper MD
plastic surgeon: BOOBIESSSS
GI: <fart sound>...pain in the ass, etc.
ortho: uhhh? carotid? that's not next to the knee is it?
vasc surgeon: motherfriggin interventional radiologist bastard ****heads!
trauma surg: 3am, coffee in left hand, still is the best surgeon in the hospital

those are off the top of my head

btw - as far as board scores
nsurg is mid 230s
ortho is around the same
derm is probably just under 240 as is integrated plastics.
everything else is less.