Specialty Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion recently about the percentage of dental school graduates being placed in specialty programs from various schools. Harvard, Columbia and UPenn have the highest percentages I've seen (self-reported stats below). If you have accurate stats from other top "specialty-placing" schools feel free to add them to this list.

_______________________________________________​
Harvard

Year................................................................................ 2005
-----------------
GPR..................................................................................... 4
-----------------
Specialty - Endodontics........................................................... 8
Specialty - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery........................................ 3
Specialty - Orthodontics.......................................................... 9
Specialty - Pedodontics........................................................... 4
Specialty - Periodontics........................................................... 3
Specialty - Prosthodontics....................................................... 2
-----------------
TOTAL................................................................................ 33
-----------------
Percent Specializing..........................................(29/33) = 88%

Columbia

Year................................................................................ 2005
-----------------
AEGD.................................................................................. 10
GPR.................................................................................... 27
Private Practice...................................................................... 1
Special Needs Fellowship.......................................................... 1
Indian Health Service.............................................................. 1
NHSC................................................................................... 1
Uniformed Services................................................................. 1
Masters in Public Health........................................................... 2
-----------------
Specialty - Endodontics........................................................... 2
Specialty - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery........................................ 8
Specialty - Orthodontics.......................................................... 8
Specialty - Pedodontics........................................................... 6
Specialty - Periodontics........................................................... 1
Specialty - Prosthodontics....................................................... 4
-----------------
TOTAL................................................................................ 75
-----------------
Percent Specializing..........................................(29/75) = 39%

UPenn

-----------------
AEGD.................................................................................. 13
GPR.................................................................................... 26
Private Practice.................................................................... 36
Teaching............................................................................... 6
Undecided............................................................................. 9
-----------------
Specialty - Endodontics........................................................... 5
Specialty - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery........................................ 6
Specialty - Orthodontics........................................................ 10
Specialty - Pedodontics........................................................... 5
Specialty - Periodontics........................................................... 4
Specialty - Prosthodontics....................................................... 6
Specialty - Oral Medicine......................................................... 2
-----------------
TOTAL.............................................................................. 128
-----------------
Percent Specializing........................................(38/128) = 30%

Members don't see this ad.

The one for HSDM is actual not self-reported. I would like to see Uconn and UCLA...

a lot of columbia students ONLY apply to AEGD and GPR as well.... so even tho only 39% go into speciality the % that applied is close to that.

so far we've had 100% match to Endo and Prostho and I think Perio for the 06 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not worry to much about specializing before you start your Dental School. Without any experience you don't know what you will like. During my Dental School interview everyone i met wanted to be an oral surgeon. After 3 yrs of School hardly anyone wanted to do OMS anymore.

Those numbers don't mean much. There could have been 15 students who applied for OMS from Columbia, but only 6 actually got in. You can't assume that everyone who applied gets in. Those who didn't get in are probably doing something in the non-specialty groups (GPR/AEGD/etc.).

griffin04 said:
Those numbers don't mean much. There could have been 15 students who applied for OMS from Columbia, but only 6 actually got in. You can't assume that everyone who applied gets in. Those who didn't get in are probably doing something in the non-specialty groups (GPR/AEGD/etc.).

True. Those numbers don't mean much at all.

Demeter said:
I would not worry to much about specializing before you start your Dental School. Without any experience you don't know what you will like. During my Dental School interview everyone i met wanted to be an oral surgeon. After 3 yrs of School hardly anyone wanted to do OMS anymore.

Sage advice. Doing dental work changes your mind about what you like and don't like. It's one thing to read a subject in a book, and quite another to actually do it.

Isn't Harvard's class size 35-36 (not 33)?

Chris125 said:
There has been a lot of discussion recently about the percentage of dental school graduates being placed in specialty programs from various schools. Harvard, Columbia and UPenn have the highest percentages I've seen (self-reported stats below). If you have accurate stats from other top "specialty-placing" schools feel free to add them to this list.

Harvard

-----------------
GPR..................................................................................... 4
-----------------
Specialty - Endodontics........................................................... 8
Specialty - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery........................................ 3
Specialty - Orthodontics.......................................................... 9
Specialty - Pedodontics........................................................... 4
Specialty - Periodontics........................................................... 3
Specialty - Prosthodontics....................................................... 2
-----------------
TOTAL................................................................................ 33
-----------------
Percent Specializing..........................................(29/33) = 88%