Specialty Questions in Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordepithelial

Reaction score
When schools ask what top three specialties you are interested in, should you actually put what they want to hear? (Primary Care, Internal Care, Family Medicine, etc) or do you guys actually put what you’re really interested in?

Members don't see this ad.

I put like family medicine, cardiology cause it’s an IM sub speciality and neurology

When schools ask what top three specialties you are interested in, should you actually put what they want to hear? (Primary Care, Internal Care, Family Medicine, etc) or do you guys actually put what you’re really interested in?
Mentioning primary care will be of some interest for schools where that is their mission. Primary care encompasses FM, IM, Peds,and OB. DO school grads mostly enter primary care specialties. Obviously, you are free to change your mind once in school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t lie. You can’t say I want to do family medicine when all your experience came from dermatology. They would know that you are lying.

Reactions: 3 users
Always, always lie. Don't listen to the people that tell you not to. If they ask about why you shadowed someone in another field say, "they were the only people available." Schools don't care about honesty

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users