Specialty Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srpprs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, incoming MS1 here.

Just a quick question for some of you with experience in this matter. I’m coming in with an interest in a rather competitive specialty from prior experiences. I hope to start research early in year one, preferably in my area of interest. Given interests can change, especially in clerkship years, how difficult is it to change the specialty you plan to apply into if your interests change later on?

I know that competitive fields prefer a record of interest in the specialty (and especially research/pubs), but it seems unless you commit to research early on in one field it will be difficult to meet these standards. Especially so if your interests change to another competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

So, incoming MS1 here.

Just a quick question for some of you with experience in this matter. I’m coming in with an interest in a rather competitive specialty from prior experiences. I hope to start research early in year one, preferably in my area of interest. Given interests can change, especially in clerkship years, how difficult is it to change the specialty you plan to apply into if your interests change later on?

I know that competitive fields prefer a record of interest in the specialty (and especially research/pubs), but it seems unless you commit to research early on in one field it will be difficult to meet these standards. Especially so if your interests change to another competitive specialty.
You have some time ... it's okay.

As an incoming MS1, it's advisable to focus on adjusting to the demands of medical school ... and exploring (being open to/curious about) different fields in medicine. It is also common for medical students to change their minds about "what do I want to do" when they are in medical school. It's okay. We get it. There is also a sweet little beast called Step 1 that may also affect students' career choices or professional trajectories related to competitive specialties. Just saying ... you have time as an incoming M1 to make up your mind, or to change your mind.

[However, if you're absolutely 100% certain you are determined to pursue, and will totally crush Step 1, and will successfully match in [insert name of competitive specialty], you might want to consider a preceptorship to make contacts with faculty mentors who might serve as research advisors for you (e.g., MS3 year). By the way, an interviewer will be interested in what you learned from research and your dedication to what you learned to do well from research, and not whether you zoomed through a project in the first two years of medical school.]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You have some time ... it's okay.

As an incoming MS1, it's advisable to focus on adjusting to the demands of medical school ... and exploring (being open to/curious about) different fields in medicine. It is also common for medical students to change their minds about "what do I want to do" when they are in medical school. It's okay. We get it. There is also a sweet little beast called Step 1 that may also affect students' career choices or professional trajectories related to competitive specialties. Just saying ... you have time as an incoming M1 to make up your mind, or to change your mind.

[However, if you're absolutely 100% certain you are determined to pursue, and will totally crush Step 1, and will successfully match in [insert name of competitive specialty], you might want to consider a preceptorship to make contacts with faculty mentors who might serve as research advisors for you (e.g., MS3 year). By the way, an interviewer will be interested in what you learned from research and your dedication to what you learned to do well from research, and not whether you zoomed through a project in the first two years of medical school.]

Thank you for the advice.
I wish I had known about SDN going into undergrad years and just how competitive getting to this point would be. Would have done some things differently my first couple years. I know my MS1 year will be an adjustment, I just am hoping to avoid similar thoughts going into match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, an interviewer will be interested in what you learned from research and your dedication to what you learned to do well from research, and not whether you zoomed through a project in the first two years of medical school.]

Thank you for this - as an M1 I feel there is so much pressure to check the boxes and jump through the hoops, it's easy to miss the forest for the trees.

Thank you for the advice.
I wish I had known about SDN going into undergrad years and just how competitive getting to this point would be. Would have done some things differently my first couple years. I know my MS1 year will be an adjustment, I just am hoping to avoid similar thoughts going into match.

Everyone comes in wanting to gun for specialty XYZ. However, very few people are still gunning after first semester, and the rest are just trying to hold on for the ride. Figure out which one you are first, and then engage in an extra work load.