Specific Grade Replacement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JESSFALLING

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

In my pre-premed past I took an engineering course twice (D => A) and am trying to figure out if it will qualify for grade replacement. Here's the catch: The university slightly modified the course between semesters which makes it look like two different courses on my transcript, but they basically covered the same material.

Here's the first description:

CIVL 131 Introduction to Civil Engineering Design
Prerequisites: CIVL 130.
Provides an introduction to civil engineering facilities and systems (environmental, structural, transportation and water resources), environmental impacts of those systems, historical development of design, introduction to design concepts and procedures, examples of the design of civil engineering systems, creativity in design, and applications in civil engineering design-horizontal curves, vertical curves, earthwork, state plane coordinates, geographic information systems and global positioning systems. 2 hours discussion, 3 hours laboratory.

Here's the second description:

CIVL 140 Transportation Planning, Surveying, and Graphics
Prerequisite: CIVL 130
This course introduces civil engineering design standards, concepts, and procedures related to transportation engineering and construction management. Topics include the standards and design of horizontal curves, vertical curves, and earthwork related to transportation projects in addition to survey staking, state plane coordinates, geographic information systems, and global positioning systems related to project surveying. The laboratory portion of this course includes the application of 3-dimensional graphic modeling software requiring creativity in design, development of construction plans, and operation of modern surveying equipment, such as total stations and GPS systems. 2 hours discussion, 3 hours laboratory.

Please let me know what you guys think. What's the success rate on petitioning something like this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar question and just emailed aacomas with the course descriptions. They told me that they would probably be counted as the same course. So I'd try that if I were you.

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

I had a similar question and just emailed aacomas with the course descriptions. They told me that they would probably be counted as the same course. So I'd try that if I were you.

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

Thanks. I guess these issues are just kind of ambiguous until they make the call. Good luck on your end.