Specific Question about my Situation, Please Advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarcoidosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am in an interesting boat which has its ups and downs based on the serotonin levels.

But, briefly.
I am Canadian, went to Carribean School, got residency in Preliminary Surgery in the US for 2 years... Didn't get Categorical Surgery, However did complete two year successfully and my program was happy with my performance. Was hell-bent on getting surgery and am back in Canada applying to ERAS for surgery. (I know dumb).

I did two years of Prelim Surgery on a J1 Visa, so have that return of service clause apply to me.

I have done MCCEE with mediocre scores because I never considered applying to Canada so never focused studying for it. Applied for MCCQE1 during my PGY1 and failed it... I didn't even know that the exam had a second part where there were scenarios. (I know it dumb again)

So I have good Med School scores, Good Step1 score, Mediocre Step2 score, Writing my Step 3 this year and will rewrite my MCCQE1 this year offcourse try to improve on my scores drastically.

I can only apply to CARMS second iteration, apparently because of my previous clinical experience.

Currently I am studying for Step 3, not doing research or volunteer work.

Please advise. I really need some counseling. Because I have clearly not made smart life decisions.

I have a few contacts in the Canadian Medical System that I will go talk to and explain my circumstances to.

What more can I do now....?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you'll get better advice if you state what your long-term goals are. Then people can make suggestions to help you reach that. My first question is why did you leave the US? Why didn't you try to continue your residency training there?

Perhaps you'll get better advice if you state what your long-term goals are. Then people can make suggestions to help you reach that. My first question is why did you leave the US? Why didn't you try to continue your residency training there?

I had to leave the US because I was in the US with a J1 Visa.

I tried to do research or fellow and had the opportunity to do so, however ECFMG told me that if I did anything other than clinical residency, I would not be allowed to apply for J1 clinical visa for July 2012.

According to ECFMG my options were to go back to Canada for a year and reapply or simply switch residencies to something else.
However, they stated that if I switched from Surgery to Internal Medicine I will not be allowed to Switch back to Surgery ever again in the US, based on the J1 Visa.

All this is from the top Honcho at ECFMG, not from friends or school advisors.

Long term goals change constantly. I love surgery, but sitting on my A#$ for a year in Canada make me reconsider things on a daily basis. One mind says be determined and persistent, the other says "you idiot" if you had done Family Medicine in Canada you would already have been working independently or "you idiot" you would be a senior in a cush internal medicine program.

I am having a real tough time analysing anything or trying to gain insight into anything.

My Surgery program has great attendings, but unfortunately I have not made a connection with anyone on a deeper level to consider them a mentor or get any serious feedback from them. They are all busy with their own things.

Its an emotional roller coaster this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't help with the visa issues, don't know much about that. My general advice is to be realistic with yourself. If you truly want to be a surgeon and won't be happy any other way, then you have to find a way. But if you could be happy doing something else in medicine, time to find a path that will lead you to board eligibility in one country or the other.

I realize that now...

What do I say to another program about why I am now applying to them or am interested in their program...?

I am interested in Internal Medicine because I couldn't get into surgery?

The only thing I can think of is that "after pursuing surgery I came to the realization that I enjoy the operating room experience however, I also enjoyed working in the wards and clinic and ..... " I don't know....
They will know I am bluffing...

So what about family medicine? Again, not my area of expertise, but I'm told in the western US family medicine is actually true general practice, with some minor surgery and obstetrics. I'd think with so many rural parts of Canada that such doctors could be useful. Yeah, you'd spend a lot of time doing chronic disease management like all primary care docs, but you could also do some procedures. As to how to answer the question, I always suggest honesty. People respect that, and if you can convince them that you will complete the program and then go out and practice, they may not care that your first love is surgery.

Yes. I am definitely going to apply to Family Medicine in Canada. I went to UofT for undergrad maybe that will be worth something.

However, I am just so under the weather these days that I am having tough time believing that "The sun'll come out tomorrow".

Sorry, enough of this self loathing, back to the books...

Thanks for the feedback.

I've read a lot that Family Med docs are heavily needed in Northern Canada. I honestly don't know any contacts...but maybe you could call CaRMS and ask for contact info from Northern residencies or just google up some hospitals.

Seriously, I remember reading in the past month that some resident's supervisor somewhere in North Canada had said so few US grads applying, but he'd take one in a heartbeat. And when I say North Canada, I don't necessarily mean igloos :p They're pretty deprived of Family docs even in just the northern part of a lot of provinces, don't even need to go as far as the Territories.