Specific questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read through all the FAQs and they're quite informative. I was hoping one could answer some more questions for me:

1) Trivial, but important after debt: what is the *real* starting salary of an anesthesiologist?

2) What are the duties of an anesthesiologist versus the nurse?

3) What type of power do you have in the OR in regards to the surgeon?

4) What do you do outside the OR?

5) What type of scripts do you write for outpatients?

6) Are you ever a pain management doc?

7) In terms of getting a spot in residency and a job, how competitive is anesthesiology?

8) How do you become an independent contractor?

9) How stressful is the job?

10) Do you have any type of office?

That's it for now. I appreciate your time. I hope these are somewhat novel questions.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Trivial, but important after debt: what is the *real* starting salary of an anesthesiologist?

Depends

2) What are the duties of an anesthesiologist versus the nurse?

Spend some time in an OR - the duties depend on the practice and on the nurse (OR nurse versus CRNA)

3) What type of power do you have in the OR in regards to the surgeon?

You should not be worried about having power - as a physician you do what is best for your patient. If you feel the surgeon is doing something harmful you tactfully state your concern and see where it takes you. You don't have any power over the surgeon because you need them, just like they need you.

4) What do you do outside the OR?

Whatever you want. The specialty doesn't dictate your free time. If you are asking what opportunities are afforded to you as an anesthesiologist outside the OR there are plenty. Critical care and pain are the two big ones.

5) What type of scripts do you write for outpatients?

None unless you are a pain management doc - then you can write scripts for a variety of pain medications (anything from naproxen to high dose narcotics and everything in between)

6) Are you ever a pain management doc?

If you want

7) In terms of getting a spot in residency and a job, how competitive is anesthesiology?

Do a search, this has been debated again and again

8) How do you become an independent contractor?

Same answer as #7

9) How stressful is the job?

Very stressful at times

10) Do you have any type of office?

Can

That's it for now. I appreciate your time. I hope these are somewhat novel questions. - You are welcome, these questions are not novel and I'm sure have been answered before. However, I'm assuming you are thinking about anesthesia. You should definitely spend some time with an anesthesiologist and get a better understanding of the specialty

Where can you intern with an anesthesiologist?

What should you expect to make? Low 200s?

Can you be both a pain management doc and an OR anesthesiologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
ask at your med school who the head of anes is and he or she should help you get some time with an anes. starting salary varies greatly with location, call schedule etc. figure 200-300ish to start, maybe lower in some markets.
pain management is a one year fellowship after an anesthesiology residency.

Alright, thank you. Anyone else?

This question is one that I used to ask all the time... the honest answer is you should not be making less then 200 as a full time anesthesiologist. Now the max potential the sky is the limit.

Lots of questions and it depends on the person. Pain or not? Smart enough or lucky enough to land partnership in a surgery center? Locums or group? Location of country, are you working very wants to live or working where there is a shortage?

If you looking for an average, my guess would 250-300. But you will never get a straight answer because there isnt one. I hope that makes sense. Also who knows what the future holds five years from now.

Yaks