Spectroscopy Absorbances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So other then the ones listed below, what absorbances should absolutely be memorized?

IR
Carbonyl = 1700
Alcohol = 3300

H NMR
Carboxylic Acid = 10.5-12
Aldehyde = 9-10
Aromatic = 6-8

I remember reading here after the August '04 MCAT that there was a very specific discrete on one of the forms which asked what ppm a hydrogen on phenol would give, or something in that ballpark.

Members don't see this ad.

SensesFail said:
So other then the ones listed below, what absorbances should absolutely be memorized?

IR
Carbonyl = 1700
Alcohol = 3300

H NMR
Aldehyde = 9-10
Aromatic = 6-8

I remember reading here after the August '04 MCAT that there was a very specific discrete on one of the forms which asked what ppm a hydrogen on phenol would give, or something in that ballpark.

IR carbon-associated-bond absorbances of

Ethers
Alkanes
Alkenes
Alkynes
Aromatics
Amines

Honestly, if a question asked me that I'd probably just suck it up and guess. IMO, not worth memorizing a bunch of numbers for a chance of one question. I'd know the IRs of carbonyls, and the 3000 range for alcohols and nitrogen groups. So not worth it otherwise. (by the way, unless it asks for exact specifics, if the answer choices are broad you can work through it based on withdrawing groups and whatnot)

Are you talking IR? The only one they can expect you to recognize off hand is alcohol, obvious by its shape. This was not a big issue on my MCAT and I can't imagine it will be a big issue on future ones either. The MCAT in general doesn't ask lots of small details. Rather they focus on the larger basic principles of the basic sciences. The exact spectroscopy peaks of all of the individual functional groups is not really a large, basic principle. Just my experience on my MCAT. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
SensesFail said:

IR
Carbonyl = 1700
Alcohol = 3300

H NMR
Aldehyde = 9-10
Aromatic = 6-8

KNOW THE C13 OF -CH2- AND -NH2!!!!

I think AAMC 5R has a discrete on IR.

in April 2005 there was NMR on the exam. I am not sure if it was a passge though.

rtmcad2319 said:
KNOW THE C13 OF -CH2- AND -NH2!!!!