Spectroscopy

Started by umc27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

umc27

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone. I was just curious how many spectroscopy questions appeared on the actual DAT? This is definately a weakness of mine.

Also, I understand (and do well on) IR spec, but I was curious if anyone could give me some some pointers of a brief synopsis on hNMR and c13NMR? I really appreciate it.
 
I'd say at most 1 question. I think I had one, but it's been too long, and I can't really remember.

As for what to know about spectroscopy, it's not too much. I'd say at least memorize that carbonyls occur in a small range at about 1700 and alcohols are wide and broad at 3300. Also that IR specs are good for determining functional groups.
 
I think I had a question or two. Just know what singlets, doublets and triplets mean on hNMRs (like the N+1 rule or something). I think I had a question about that. Good luck and don't worry too much about just a single question.
Jessica
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jesca1
you right! I don't know why people a worried about just one questions that they could miss. Study everything about spec and you will do fine. Simple is that ! Hope that helps
 
I would not spend too much time on it at all. I don't recall having any spec. questions. I didn't even bother studying for it.
 
I never learned NMR's very well in O-Chem either, but while I was studying for the DAT I happened upon this website (I am sure there are plenty more like it) that I used to teach myself. I thought it was well written and was much more helpful than my Barron's study book that I was using. After about 30 minutes I understood the concept pretty well. There may only be one question on the DAT, but if you take the few minutes to learn it, it may mean a whole number difference.

http://chipo.chem.uic.edu/web1/ocol/spec/NMR.htm
 
Basically between what Hbomb said about IR spectroscopy and what jes1ca said about NMR spectroscopy you'll have spectroscopy covered for the DAT.

I kid you not.