sPECTROSCOPY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymuz

dance!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
j/w if there's any spectroscopy on DAT? b/c it doess review it in kaplan but the mock test didnt ask ne questions on it.. :D

Members don't see this ad.

J DUB said:
I did. I knew I got a hard section! :(

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! does that mean u had to memorize the functional groups for the IR and the wavelengths? same for c nmr? oh nos..

Members don't see this ad :)
anonymuz said:
j/w if there's any spectroscopy on DAT? b/c it doess review it in kaplan but the mock test didnt ask ne questions on it.. :D

Just pay attention to OH and C=O IR stretch.

Watch also for symmetrical structure on the molecule given where NMR resonances superimpose, that's one of the DAT favorites, and is well explained in DAT Acheiever's Orgo questions FYI if you happen to be using this study program.

Best of luck to you then ...

anonymuz said:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! does that mean u had to memorize the functional groups for the IR and the wavelengths? same for c nmr? oh nos..

I had a mass spec. question. I cant remember what it was but in my class we did not do much with it, so I was unsure. I know the IR and C NMR though. I just had alot of weird, specific questions. I did not see alot of the normal stuff I expected. Searching the posts on here, it seems as though sometimes there will be an organic section every now and then that is tougher than usual. My friend took the DAT twice and he said that the second time he took it the DAT was alot easier. There appears to be a great deal of variety between tests. I think I got a hard version the first time around and I hope to get a more representative (easier) test this time. My Topscore and Kaplan scores mirror many peoples' scores on here but I did worse or the same on the real DAT in every section. In fact, my Topscore practice scores were higher than my friend's scores and he got a 22AA the second time and I only got a 18AA the first time. Like I said, I thought the version I had was harder than Topscore. My QR had 12-15 word problems. I hope to do better this time around. In conclusion, just prepare for everything and expect the worse and you will be ok on the real test. I thought I was safe because of my practice scores and was shocked on real DAT day. Also, be sure to try DAT Achiever for the PAT. It really prepares you for the real PAT. Topscore and Kaplan are not hard enough if you dont naturally see it. That is going to be my main focus area because my instate school will only take 18 or higher. I had a 17 and was shown the door and was told that was the only reason why. The admin dean said to retake and get a 18 PAT and try next year. No me gusta el PAT! Peace and good luck.