Speech class for USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... so it came to my attention recently that the public speaking class I took for the other Cali schools I applied to is no good at USC. I have to take another speech class in "interpersonal communications." WTF? I don't mean to complain cuz I am very happy to be in there, but I am so tired of taking undergrad prereqs when I already have 2 degrees! I have to take micro this summer and I will have to quit my job in order to take speech also and I am not sure I can do that and still survive financially. I spoke to a woman there today who told me there were no waivers and no exceptions, unless I took the class 3 years ago, which I did not. Current USC applicants and students, is there any way around this? Is there someone in the admissions office I can talk to who does make exceptions? I thought I had read on this board of people getting stuff waived. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will waive classes like that if you have an undergrad degree. I don't expect and Cali schools to be that flexable, but it's possible. Have you tried faxing them a course description or syllabus?

I got my school to accept the interpersonal communications course I had taken in place of their public speaking requirement. They had initially said no exceptions could be made but after I got accepted I e-mailed the director of admissions and she approved it. In my experience with various schools most of the time someone says "no exceptions" that generally isn't always true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I should go over the head of the person I spoke with to the dean of admissions. It couldn't hurt. I mean they're not going to revoke my acceptance for complaining about speech. Worst case I have to quit my job and do it. Any advice on how to approach this? Email the dean explaining the situation?

hey aznpremed. just curious at what CMN class u took at davis?

I think last year was the last time they were going to accept CMN 1 in place of CMN 3....maybe you can work some magic and persuade whoever is in charge of letting you slide this time! Good luck

I took it at Sac City College. It was "Intro to Public Speaking" and I believe it was Com 301. They just re-did their numkbering system this year.

aww, what the hell. i am currently taking CMN1 because its "public speaking". oh well, im not really applying to usc anyways. but I believe CMN 1 is the REAL speech class. CMN 3 is BS from what i heard. just memorize small facts.

eddie,

do speech classes at ucd tend to fill up? i am thinking maybe i could take cmn 3 next quarter. but i have to go thru the extension since i am not a davis student so i can only get in if there are empty seats. do you think this is even an option?

from my experience, CMN 1 is one of thee hardest classes to get into. EVERYONE from almost every major is required to take it (as well as grad school requirements). I been trying to take it for 2 yrs now and finally had the chance to sign up for it during pass 1.

however, I am not sure about extensions and how fast they fill up. I do know that CMN 3 isn't NEARLY as popular as CMN 1. OK, nm, I just checked the open course list and CMN 3 isn't open.

Not sure if you used this before but this helps with what classes are open. http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/ocl/opencourses.html

good luck