Speech Language Pathology Graduate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very interested in pursuing the speech language pathology graduate program. I possess a 3-year associate degree in translation and a 3-year bachelor's degree in Linguistics, both in a foreign institute. I understand that post baccalaureate courses are required for me to apply for the graduate program. My questions are:

1) I have a below 3.0 GPA. Do I stand any chance to get into the post baccalaureate program? I am currently exploring the one offered at CUNY Brooklyn College.

2) Would you recommend me to take the GRE and score high then apply for the post baccalaureate program? I am quite confident that I could do well in GRE. My low GPA score was due to the lack of commitment (which in hindsight was foolish).

Any inputs or advice will be much appreciated.

Rach in New York

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am very interested in pursuing the speech language pathology graduate program. I possess a 3-year associate degree in translation and a 3-year bachelor's degree in Linguistics, both in a foreign institute. I understand that post baccalaureate courses are required for me to apply for the graduate program. My questions are:

1) I have a below 3.0 GPA. Do I stand any chance to get into the post baccalaureate program? I am currently exploring the one offered at CUNY Brooklyn College.

2) Would you recommend me to take the GRE and score high then apply for the post baccalaureate program? I am quite confident that I could do well in GRE. My low GPA score was due to the lack of commitment (which in hindsight was foolish).

Any inputs or advice will be much appreciated.

Rach in New York

Given the fact that you came from a foreign institution, I don't think your grades would matter as much as your standardized test scores (GRE TOFEL) if you're applying to a graduate program. You may want to check with each individual school graduate schools that you plan on applying to as to what their requirements are, what classes you need to take, and find out if there are any graduate programs that do no require post-bac courses.

I don't think you need to take the GRE to apply to a post-bac program if you already graduated from college. The post-bac program is just something that you enroll in to take the pre-requisite classes needed for the graduate program. Why don't you go to the registrar at Brooklyn College and ask them what grade or GRE score you would need to enroll in their Post-Bac program?

Hi there, thanks for the sound advice. I checked out Brooklyn College post-bacc application form. No GRE is required but only all official school transcripts. I was just thinking my GRE/ TOEFL may help me to get in their post-bacc program given my low GPA. I will definitely call them on Monday to find out more!

Given the fact that you came from a foreign institution, I don't think your grades would matter as much as your standardized test scores (GRE TOFEL) if you're applying to a graduate program. You may want to check with each individual school graduate schools that you plan on applying to as to what their requirements are, what classes you need to take, and find out if there are any graduate programs that do no require post-bac courses.

I don't think you need to take the GRE to apply to a post-bac program if you already graduated from college. The post-bac program is just something that you enroll in to take the pre-requisite classes needed for the graduate program. Why don't you go to the registrar at Brooklyn College and ask them what grade or GRE score you would need to enroll in their Post-Bac program?