Speed of Sound or Speed of Light?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarryNights

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was doing a passage on radio waves (AM and FM) that asked me to solve for the wavelengths based upon a bunch of frequencies. I used the right formula to find wavelength based on speed and frequency, except the one that worked was to use the speed of light. This is a bit weird to me since I originally tried speed of sound to get the answer, and got frustrated when none of the choices matched. Can someone explain why they chose to use the speed of light instead of speed of sound when the passage was on radio waves, hearing threshold, etc??

Members don't see this ad.

Can you post the question? Don't see why speed of light would ever be used for hearing threshold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post the question? Don't see why speed of light would ever be used for hearing threshold.

It was actually a passage-based question from Princeton Review's free MCAT. But like I said, it talked all about AM frequencies and FM frequencies, then threshold of hearing, and said that frequencies above 10,000 Hz are not transmitted effectively via radio waves. I guess it makes sense from the other answers that radio waves are electromagnetic waves so that's why they used the speed of light...but still, my first instinct was to go with speed of sound, :confused:

It was actually a passage-based question from Princeton Review's free MCAT. But like I said, it talked all about AM frequencies and FM frequencies, then threshold of hearing, and said that frequencies above 10,000 Hz are not transmitted effectively via radio waves. I guess it makes sense from the other answers that radio waves are electromagnetic waves so that's why they used the speed of light...but still, my first instinct was to go with speed of sound, :confused:
you need to learn to pay attention to the information needed to answer the question at hand. the hearing threshold for this question is just a distractor.