speed reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhope4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My specific problem is speed reading. On my verbal passages, I take about 6 and a half to 7 mins to read a passage. I can answer the questions pretty quickly and very accurately but it takes way too long. At the end, I usually have two passages left with barely enough time to finish one. The one I do finish I rush through and get around a 4/6 correct. The other one, I just bubble in blindly. As a result I end up getting 8-10s on the section.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my speed reading? If I can somehow get down to 4 mins per passage tops, I think I can get a really good score in this section. I know reading WSJ and the New Yorker are good tips, but what should I be aiming for. There are no questions after those articles to answer lol

Members don't see this ad.

You need to test your reading pace. Unless you read below an average level (200 words/minute) the problem isn't your reading speed, it is that you are going back and checking the passage. To take 6-7 minutes to read a passage would be 100 words or less a minute which is hard to believe. Unless you mean "read" as read and complete the questions, the easy solution is to just not let yourself go back to the passage. Then slowly reallow yourself on questions you know exactly where the information is.