Speeding up gchem advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coyfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started taking my AAMC's (done 3 tests so far) and my mcat is on 9/11.

Im having a hard time with gchem. Got a 8 and a 10 so far. Timing is the issue. On the 8 I didn't even get to the last 2 pages (left like 8 blank).

Particularly on huge passage questions. Gen chem always overwhelms me in terms of appearance. All the charts and equations. I just drain too much time settling / searching for answers. Seems like when I read the passage carefully the questions are obvious discretes. Then when I scan the passage quickly the questions require me to actually know whats going on.

On the next one im thinking about just reading the beginning to see what the experiment is for and then glancing at the reactions / charts. Reading "student adds 4ml of 10M H2SO4 and then . . . and then . . . " is pointless for me. I don't remember any of it.

I love physics but unfortunately 3/4 of PS is gen chem.

thx for any tips

Members don't see this ad.

Read the para and keep writing all important values/formulae etc so that you need not read or search it again when you are attempting the question.
First reading should be very accurate and through with all important values highlighted or written on a paper.
Try it may be it will help you.

Hmm the opposite of what I was expecting. It seems pointless to write down an equation that is right on the page. Regardless you would have to look back.

Appreciate the advise though. My next test im going to try quickly scanning the question types and use that to determine how intently I read the passage.

If that doesn't work then ill try reading more carefully. I have a hard time grasping what is going on with the pressure of time and the 4-5 step reactions / charts / graphs / etc.

Hmm the opposite of what I was expecting. It seems pointless to write down an equation that is right on the page. Regardless you would have to look back.

Appreciate the advise though. My next test im going to try quickly scanning the question types and use that to determine how intently I read the passage.

If that doesn't work then ill try reading more carefully. I have a hard time grasping what is going on with the pressure of time and the 4-5 step reactions / charts / graphs / etc.

Hi
I think you have misunderstood it
Please don't waste time in writing down the equation
I said write all values which are given in brief
equation you can easily see as you go back on the para but important values which are difficult to locate once you go back on the para .

I started taking my AAMC's (done 3 tests so far) and my mcat is on 9/11.

Im having a hard time with gchem. Got a 8 and a 10 so far. Timing is the issue. On the 8 I didn't even get to the last 2 pages (left like 8 blank).

Particularly on huge passage questions. Gen chem always overwhelms me in terms of appearance. All the charts and equations. I just drain too much time settling / searching for answers. Seems like when I read the passage carefully the questions are obvious discretes. Then when I scan the passage quickly the questions require me to actually know whats going on.

On the next one im thinking about just reading the beginning to see what the experiment is for and then glancing at the reactions / charts. Reading "student adds 4ml of 10M H2SO4 and then . . . and then . . . " is pointless for me. I don't remember any of it.

I love physics but unfortunately 3/4 of PS is gen chem.

thx for any tips

here's a couple tidbits that i use--maybe they'll help you too. i got a 14 PS and i use the general approach to each passage

i read every single PS passage and read for a general understanding of the purpose behind experiments. i take note of charts, but don't analyze them unless i'm required to do so by a question. don't let yourself get bogged down in the numbers, but do take notice of certain words like "adds", "transfers", "weighs", "compares", "boils", "filters", etc. I'd recommend highlighting these types of words. These words are key for the methodology of the experiment taking place and can provide you with a general outline. i also don't recommend re-reading passages

at the end of every passage, i haven't memorized any values per se but i do know why the experiment is taking place. this type of approach takes practice and a general understanding of the chemistry jargon on the test.

best of luck :thumbup: