sphygmomanometer recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaztastic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My boyfriend's brother is an EMT and wanted a blood pressure cuff thingamob for x-mas. As a med student, I take pts' blood pressures, but have never bought a sphygmomanometer, so I was hoping you guys could help out with recommendations?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty late for a christmas gift eh?? haha

Check out mooremedical.com, they have a decent selection of your basic BP cuffs. I dont know why he would need one for himself (most ambulance companies supply them and it is not common to bring your own), but hey if thats what he wants...

I cant think of any real specific features that you should look out for except maybe find out if he wants the integrated bulb/gauge type or the (more common) type with the seperate gauge and bulb. ...I like the kind that have the glow in the dark numbers on the gauge, but I cant ever really see it bieng necessary-- lol more of a "bling" factor than anything else.

Good luck!

Sure, its been a while, but I'll jump in here.

Yes, I get supplied by my company (I'm a basic for an IFT company) with the el-cheapo double lumen stethoscope that creates all sorts of noise when the tubes rub against each other and hard black ear pieces that rub your ears raw if you tilt your head while wearing it and the seperated gage and bulb B/P cuff, but I still bring my own (actually, I got the BP cuff for Christmas).

I got the steth early on. DRG Symphony (~$40, decent steth, but still cheap enough that it won't hurt too bad when it grows legs and walks). I love having this stethoscope. The gel sealed ear tips makes it easier on me, I can actually hear something with it, and I don't have to worry about who used it last shift.

I've only had a few days so far to use my new cuff, but I won't be going back anytime soon. Trigger grip with integrated gage makes it so much easier and faster to take a BP now that I don't have to worry about balancing the gage someplace and it is easier to control the speed that the cuff deflates at.

Is it needed or expected to bring your own? Nope. Do I feel that my job is easier by supplying my own gear? yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in EMT training right now and you need your own gear for the course and practicals. I'm eying one of those trigger set-ups myself. It's a pain to juggle everything with my standard cuff.