spine and sports fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnted_out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
what would you say to someone who claims to have a fellowship in sports and spine but requires fellows to see subacute patients anywhere from 2 -4 half days per week?

Members don't see this ad.

what would you say to someone who claims to have a fellowship in sports and spine but requires fellows to see subacute patients anywhere from 2 -4 half days per week?

Honestly I’d probably laugh. That’s a joke

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I’d probably laugh. That’s a joke
Yes exactly. I inquired about the Michigan spine and sports fellowship by Dr Pierce and he tells me that fellows have to cover subacute facilities! He says 2 half days a week sometimes 4 half days! Way to try to prey on interest for interventional training. That has nothing to do w interventional! Just a way to try to get cheap labor.

Stay away. 4 half days a week means that he will collect 200k from you. MSK/Sports/Spine fellowship should mean 100% clinic+procedures.

Stay away. 4 half days a week means that he will collect 200k from you. MSK/Sports/Spine fellowship should mean 100% clinic+procedures.

Exactly. i mean i do subacute stuff now. why would he even propose that? he should be ashamed of himself. sports and spine means that - sports, msk, us, spine procedures!! and on top of that jeff pierce in MI, says that the 'fellow' would go to these subacutes with a midlevel type person. there is nothing educational about doing subacute rehab, and is not part of a sports/spine fellowship. of course the fellowship ad does not mention this. i almost feel like reporting it - this should not be listed on the aapm&r. it is completely and utterly unethical. complete attempt to prey on people looking for interventional training.

Agree with you. as long as it is mentioned in the ad it is fine. the fellowship director can do whatever he wants. In my fellowship I had to round on the inpatient rehab unit once a month on the weekends with the residents. It was easy but I was aware of that before I started.
In subacute rehab there is plenty of msk/spine stuff you can manage but the diagnostic and treatment options are limited. On top of that fellowship should means direct supervision and education.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes exactly. I inquired about the Michigan spine and sports fellowship by Dr Pierce and he tells me that fellows have to cover subacute facilities! He says 2 half days a week sometimes 4 half days! Way to try to prey on interest for interventional training. That has nothing to do w interventional! Just a way to try to get cheap labor.

Thank you for letting everyone know which specific program you are talking about. That takes balls, but I am sure that all of the residents interested in an interventional spine program greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a way to identify a good interventional spine fellowship if it's not ACGME? Do you mostly look at the procedures taught? And should you go to fellowship in the area you're interested in settling in or if
there often a no complete clause?

im going to start a fellowship, you wont have to round the SNFs but you have to pick up dry cleaning, wash my car, and do advanced secretarial work...

im going to start a fellowship, you wont have to round the SNFs but you have to pick up dry cleaning, wash my car, and do advanced secretarial work...
That sounds better than rounding in snfs with a midlevel. I still can’t believe that guy. I think I’m going to start my own fellowship after I’m done with mine - and it will be similar to yours. As fellow duties I will add waking my dogs too. That will be educational

You should talk to the past residents at your program. Faculty in you department that did fellowships and current fellows if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks. Many of my colleagues did not do fellowship actually. I have been offered a couple of options but now I’m waiting on letters of rec and not sure what to do. I have contacted recommenders twice and not a peep - and these are people who have previously written letters for me or otherwise have been references. Not sure what to make of it. I have emailed, texted and nothing.

Keep trying. Ask until they tell you to stop asking. Persistence pays off. I once asked an attending for 6 months until he finally gave in and wrote me an amazing letter.
Now as an attending it is hard to take time to write letters for students/residents but if they bother me enough I make time for them.

Keep trying. Ask until they tell you to stop asking. Persistence pays off. I once asked an attending for 6 months until he finally gave in and wrote me an amazing letter.
Now as an attending it is hard to take time to write letters for students/residents but if they bother me enough I make time for them.

Yeah one finally sent the letter the other 2 pending. I got a pretty sweet fellowship and don’t want it to be a problem. Thing is that one of the attendings already wrote me a letter before so it would just need to be updated and sent. The other person was also a reference a few months ago so I couldn’t imagine he hates me but it becomes anxiety provoking.