Spine/MSK/Pain fellowships

Started by Ziba
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ziba

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All:

I would like to get more information on the following programs:

University of Florida PMR MSK fellowship
UCLA pain/spine fellowship
Any programs in North Carolina that stand out


wondering:
1. Numbers and types of procedures done
2. EMG experience
3. degree of MSK/sports, MSK ultrasound?

input much appreciated.
 
Hi All:

I would like to get more information on the following programs:

University of Florida PMR MSK fellowship
UCLA pain/spine fellowship
Any programs in North Carolina that stand out


wondering:
1. Numbers and types of procedures done
2. EMG experience
3. degree of MSK/sports, MSK ultrasound?

input much appreciated.

I will be going to the UCLA (west LA VA) PM&R pain fellowship (not the anesthesia UCLA pain fellowship) There is also a spine fellowship but it is not officially affiliated with UCLA.

The pain fellowship offers all the basic spine procedures (TF and IL ESI, MBB, Z joint, discos, RF, Stellate, caudals, intercostal nerve blocks) in the lumbar/thoracic/cervical spine, as well as stims, pumps, v-plasty, etc. I think there are occasional peripheral joint injections (hips, shoulders, SI, etc.) We also get a good amount of EMGs. Probably not as much MSK/sports or MSK US but I got enough during residency and I wanted to specifically do pain, NOT sports.

I think you have to decide if you want to do pain or sports. MSK/spine stuff kind of overlap but pain and sports are more distinct - especially now that we can sit for both exams. When you apply for fellowships - if you apply to a pain fellowship with a sports oriented personal statement - that may not be looked upon favorably and vice versa. Also need to decide why you want to do a fellowship and what you hope to get from it and what you think you will want to do in practice.

hope this helps.