SPOILER: AAMC online flashcards (psychology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPsychotic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this question:

r/Mcat - SPOILER: AAMC online flashcards (psychology)
AAMC says the answer is NREM3 (deep sleep). I understand the part about the brain waves, but wouldn't breathing slow down in deep sleep? Some online resources seem to suggest so:

From Stages of Sleep - Sleep Foundation:

If anyone could shed some light on breathing rate in the different stages of sleep that'd be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Awake and Alert = Alpha Waves, high frequency waves that are fast.

Awake and Relaxed = Beta Waves, low frequency waves that are slowed down.

Stage 1 = Theta Waves, waves are sporadic and irregular with lower frequency and higher voltage potentials. This is the stage associated with just falling asleep.

Stage 2 = Theta Waves still, waves are sporadic and irregular, but you may have Sleep Spindles (short bursts of high frequency waves) and K-Spindles (thing of going from a high peak wave to a low peak, it's almost shaped like a K)

Stage 3 = Delta Waves, Stage 3 onward is referred to as SWS. Delta Waves are the slowest and therefore have the lowest frequency. People in this stage are deep asleep. Many sleep disorders affecting dreams (think of night terrors) occur in this stage of NREM sleep.

Stage 4 = Delta Waves, a continuation of Stage 3.

NREM Sleep = Similar to when one is relaxed, but awake (encounter several Beta Waves, and a few Alpha Waves). The most vivid dreams we have commonly occur in this stage of sleep.

Sleep Cycle: 1->2->3->4->3->2->NREM->repeat.

In this question:

AAMC says the answer is NREM3 (deep sleep). I understand the part about the brain waves, but wouldn't breathing slow down in deep sleep? Some online resources seem to suggest so:

From Stages of Sleep - Sleep Foundation:

If anyone could shed some light on breathing rate in the different stages of sleep that'd be very helpful. Thanks!
I agree with you. I worked in a sleep medicine lab during UG and wouldn’t have guessed stage 3. I know it’s a sucky thing to do but you gotta memorize what AAMC believed is correct, despite your disagreement...

Reactions: 1 user