Step I spoiler: nbme 18 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dontwantaids

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, one of the questions of NBME 18 section 1 was as follows: child with large flaccid bullae over trunk and abdomen, fever (102), bp110/60. People in diffeent forums are suggesting that it's toxic shock syndrome. However, this child doesn't have shock; desquamation is the more common dermatological manifestation rather than bullae; no end-organ problems or vomiting; toxic shock syndrome doesn't classically occur in children, but in women using tempons. So I am wondering if it's choice a: eosinophilia (i.e. atopic dermatitis). What do you guys think?
 
I went with the staph aureus/toxic shock syndrome answer (can't remember specifics) and it didn't show up in my incorrects. I agree that the bullous manifestation doesn't seem to align with the classic desquamative rash, but it was the "best" answer of the choices from what I remember
 
I went with the staph aureus/toxic shock syndrome answer (can't remember specifics) and it didn't show up in my incorrects. I agree that the bullous manifestation doesn't seem to align with the classic desquamative rash, but it was the "best" answer of the choices from what I remember
Hey, thanks a million! This is such an unusual presentation, including the normal BP!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad