Sporting a beard at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiscoBalls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a sweet beard going. Do you think it would be wise to keep for interviews or should I shave it off?

Members don't see this ad.

keep the beard man. everyone knows all the best dentists are bearded.

Who's everyone ? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
bad call. clean cut is the way to go...for an interview! however, beards are savage. if my wife wasn't so anti-beard i'd have one 24/7. i negotiated down to sept-dec haha. however, mustaches (when not part of the entire beard/goatee) look horible on everyone not named tom selleck or burt reynolds.

I would recommend going clean cut for the interview. Once you're in you can go all Grizzly Adams, but wait till you're in. I'm personally working on a handle bar mustach for orientation!

as long as it's not too long + well kept, i think you should rock it! i have a Van Dyck (goatee + mustache) & i wouldn't dare shave it.

While I hate sporting beards myself, if you are able to trim it up and make it look presentable then I see no problem with having one. It may make you more memorable too.

On a side note my classmate was sporting some scruff at one of his med school interviews and was told that it made him look more like a real medical student than all the clean cut interviewees that see. He is still waiting on a decision so don't know if it helped of not but it was noted and probably remembered.

just make sure its not this type of beard
ortonhideous.jpg

That's awesome. Unfortuneately, too bad that's what the bears look like week in and out :).

Some dude at one of my interviews was "grizzly adams", i'm not sure if it made him more mature.

Good luck with the handle bars!

dude it's okay.. you'll just stand out (just make it in a good way). also as long as you don't look like a creeper he he he he he

Its fairly well maintained, I go to work with it. I have a feeling that when I go to clean it up before my interview I'll end up shaving it all off

put up a pic of your beard and we'll tell you what we think of it...

Im considering rockin my beard as well at my interviews. Its winter time, they can't hate for keepin the face warm ha

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you look professional I don't see why it would matter.

Well besides wearing the beard to the interview, for guys do we rock a the full suit and tie? slacks and a sports coat with tie? slacks and tie? Cowboy boots out of the question?

dude it's okay.. you'll just stand out (just make it in a good way). also as long as you don't look like a creeper he he he he he

how'd u get into UCLA with a 3.3?

that sounds insulting...if you have a question like that PM somebody so you don't sound unprofessional.

He's up set with the bear's performance. new good ol kyle shoildnt be in here.

how'd u get into UCLA with a 3.3?

answer is in my user title bro. tell me about UIC maybe i'll skip this cycle and get in there for next cycle instead? sup?

Last edited:
Absolutely positively wear a full suit and tie. You are applying to become a dentist, not a waiter. This is a very important role in society, and for your interview you must be as professional and good looking as possible.

Well besides wearing the beard to the interview, for guys do we rock a the full suit and tie? slacks and a sports coat with tie? slacks and tie? Cowboy boots out of the question?

answer is in my user title bro. tell me about UIC maybe i'll skip this cycle and get in there for next cycle instead? sup?

no idea what your name means.... is it dental related?

Were you making a joke about UIC? its a great school. Of course its not a UCLA (my first choice) but its still a good school.

Also, you guys really think I care about being professional on an anonymous forum? I asked a legitimate question.

The OP has a GPA below the average for most schools and definetly below UCLA numbers. He has a predent link posted so its not like I'm asking about something personal or hidden...

He's up set with the bear's performance. new good ol kyle shoildnt be in here.

Well of course I KNEW Kyle Orton shouldn't be starting... If only I could convince Lovie...

prydA = eric prydz = the dude who produced hits such as call on me, proper education, pjanoo

i suggest you check out the call on me video..it is artwork.
quality producer.

prydA = eric prydz = the dude who produced hits such as call on me, proper education, pjanoo

i suggest you check out the call on me video..it is artwork.
quality producer.

yeah thats a hilarious video. The chick looks manish though.

How does pryda = prydz???

eric prydz has a few labels, prydA is one of them. When he produces on that label he goes by the name of prydA.

eric prydz has a few labels, prydA is one of them. When he produces on that label he goes by the name of prydA.

well thanks for clearing that up.... HOLY **** DOES MUSIC SUCK TODAY!

If the beard is short and clean, I say go with it. I have worn a beard for the last several years in a professional setting and it has never been an issue, well, except for those lousy respirators.

According to predents he got 25 TS 26AA... I'd say that answers your question

I guess. However when the GPA vs DAT is that lop-sided I thought it raised more questions about work ethic....

Also,
I want to apologize to everyone in this thread, especially the OP. I'm rereading my posts from last night and I see that really must have been in a pissy mood. I guess too much studying for my micro and anatomy finals. I hope I didn't offend anyone too much.

I say put braids in the beard, braveheart-style.

I would only wear a beard if it were one of these:

beards.jpg
\

or one of these:

beards2.jpg
\

MY beard is professional looking, in my opinion. Sideburns continue down following jaw line to my chin and then connects with a mustasche deal. I would say I kind of look like Will Riker from star trek the next generation. I trim up the long hairs fairly regularily. I kinda wish I had a pic.

BTW my interview is at Nova this week if anyone knows if the are pro/anti beard

MY beard is professional looking, in my opinion. Sideburns continue down following jaw line to my chin and then connects with a mustasche deal. I would say I kind of look like Will Riker from star trek the next generation. I trim up the long hairs fairly regularily. I kinda wish I had a pic.

BTW my interview is at Nova this week if anyone knows if the are pro/anti beard

Don't ruin a wonderful seasonal Christmas beard. Wear it clean and trimmed though, no stragglers (stragglers are to be left behind....I was...). If I were an interviewer, a man in a beard would stand out. This sort of thing was acceptable in the 70s and 80s as professional. I am always weary of guys who can't grow a beard. Manliness and confidence can be conveyed by a beard...make no mistake, the other interviewees will be no doubt intimidated by the manly mane. Don't forget those who wear beards are in distinguished company. Like grass stomped on and mowed, beaten and whacked at, the beard returns and shall returneth forever more to haunt those who can and try to deny it. The beard shall reward you with intellectual endowment during your interview. It's a travesty and a shame that more men don't honor the beard during times of professionalism. Good luck to you sir, do the right thing :xf:

As long as the beard is well kept I would say that its fine. I personally hate beards but its not like they are particularly unprofessional. As for the person who asked about suit and tie, definitely a full suit and tie. I would also go with something other than a black suit white shirt thing. I never wore a plain black suit to any of my interviews and on like 5 of them the interviewer or head of admissions commented and said something like he doesnt undertstand why everyone comes dressed for a funeral, its an interview. He was happy that I had a little color.

I've been rockin' a 'stace and goatee since 8th grade. Sometimes I grow a beard and I like to keep it for a month. I was known in high school as the only guy with a beard, then someone else started to grow one :(

enjoyed the thread. sorry you shaved it. personally I'm jealous. I can only grow the "Summer" patchy beard...summer here, summer there.