Sports Med/Family Med research, how to make contacts/find oppurtunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadowmoses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year international med student looking to practice in the US after graduating, and during my winter break (which lasts a few months) I am looking to do clinical research in sports medicine or family medicine. I live in Philadelphia originally.

Some questions I have is that I am interested in pursuing Sports Medicine, but if I can't find any research in Sports Med, could I do research in Family Medicine instead? I ask this because I want to take the Family Med. route first, and then go for the Sports Med. after that.

Also how can I go about finding research? Is the best course of action to contact the head of the Family Med/Sports Med departments of various med schools in Philly at and ask if something is available? I am willing to work in a voluntary capacity just so I can secure something in case they don't have enough funding for another worker. Should I mention that I'll work without pay?

Is there anything else I can do to gear my residency application to reflect my interest in Sports Medicine?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year international med student looking to practice in the US after graduating, and during my winter break (which lasts a few months) I am looking to do clinical research in sports medicine or family medicine. I live in Philadelphia originally.

Some questions I have is that I am interested in pursuing Sports Medicine, but if I can't find any research in Sports Med, could I do research in Family Medicine instead? I ask this because I want to take the Family Med. route first, and then go for the Sports Med. after that.

Also how can I go about finding research? Is the best course of action to contact the head of the Family Med/Sports Med departments of various med schools in Philly at and ask if something is available? I am willing to work in a voluntary capacity just so I can secure something in case they don't have enough funding for another worker. Should I mention that I'll work without pay?

Is there anything else I can do to gear my residency application to reflect my interest in Sports Medicine?

Thanks

How about a poster presentation (you can do this at your local or national FP or SM conferences), book chapters are good, journal articles are also good (but req a considerable amount of time). You should definately contact your FM department and attendings to see if they would be interested. Have you contacted any of the FM or SM (AFP, CPF, CSMR, CJSM, BJSM, etc etc) journals to see if they have a niche for you? Original research is certainly good as well but may require more of a time commitment than you have, try the other scholarly opportunities that I have mentioned.