Sports Medicine Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsMed09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me which organization physicians use for sports med accreditation/fellowship?
American College of Sports Medicine?
American Medical Society of Sports Medicine?
Another one?

Members don't see this ad.

certification is granted through the board of you particular specialty. in this case, ABPMR. the umbrella organization that certifies specialty boards is ABMS (american board of medical specialties).

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are professional organizations.

Sports med fellowships are accredited by the ACGME, with the subspecialty certification being conferred by your primary specialty board, i.e. ABPMR, ABFP, ABIM, ABEM (Emergency Medicine), etc.

I've seen a few physiatrists with "FACSM" after their titles. I didn't know if this accreditation is a purely personal choice to enhance their knowledge, or if this has more medical application. One of them teaches the Sports med course for the AAPM&R, so that's why I'm curious.

FACSM (Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine) is a service designation, i.e. to be eligible you have to fulfill some criteria showing your service (as an educator, through research, etc.) to the field of sports medicine.

How do we as PM&R docs qualify to take the Sports Board?
- I've heard things like, as long as you are PM&R and graduate before 2012, you can sit for the board.
- I've also heard that you need to do any type of "Sports" fellowship and can have the director write a letter to the American Board of Specialties.
- I've heard your fellowship director needs to have passed the Sports Board themselves for a fellow to qualify to take the Sports Board.

Does anyone know the official ruling on how a PM&R fellow can sit for the Sports Board if they're fellowship is not accredited?

THe following is from the appmr website.....

When considering a practice in musculoskeletal or sports medicine, residents should keep in mind that many specialties (including internal medicine, family practice, emergency medicine, and pediatrics) offer fellowship training and board certification in sports medicine. These programs generally do not offer positions to PM&R residents, and physiatrists are currently ineligible to sit for the American Board of Medical Specialties' sports medicine board certification. Within PM&R, musculoskeletal and sports medicine fellowships are available. These fellowships usually are based in the outpatient setting, and with various programs providing training in epidural spinal injections, peripheral joint injections, and ultrasound diagnostics. These programs are designed to supplement the musculoskeletal exposure residents receive during their fellowship, build expertise in the area of biomechanics and sports management of the injured athlete, and provide research opportunities for those who wish to pursue an academic career.

And this is from american board of PM&R website!

Sports Medicine

On September 19, 2006, the American Board of Medicine Specialties (ABMS) approved the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) application to join with four other ABMS Boards to grant Sports Medicine subspecialty certification. The other ABMS Boards are the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM), the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), the American Board of Pediatrics (ABPeds), and the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM).
The ABFM will administer the subspecialty examination and the ABPMR will credential and issue the subspecialty certificates for ABPMR diplomates.
A practice track will be available for the first five years the examination is offered to ABPMR diplomates (2007-2011). The practice track will allow ABPMR diplomates to gain admissibility using a formula which takes into account the following factors:

• Diplomates must have a minimum of five years practicing Sports Medicine full-time or part-time. During that period, more than 20% of the time averaged over five years must have been devoted to sports medicine.
  • Diplomates must complete 30 Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits relevant to Sports Medicine that have been obtained at Sports Medicine courses, national meetings, or closely related offerings (completed within the five-year practice period).
A fellowship track is available for applicants who complete a minimum of one year in an ACGME-accredited Sports Medicine fellowship affiliated with an ACGME-accredited residency program in Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. OR
Under temporary criteria (available through the 2011 examination) one year of non ACGME-accredited Sports Medicine fellowship training in a fellowship program affiliated with an
ACGME-accredited PM&R residency training program. The fellowship program must be consistent with the ACGME requirements for primary care sports medicine fellowship training.
The practice or training requirements must be completed on or before July 31 of the year of the examination for the July/August administration of the examination. Those applicants who will complete the training or practice requirements after the July 31 deadline, but before November 30 of the exam year, may still apply during the regular application period, but will take the examination in December.
After the 2011 examination, candidates applying for examination in Sports Medicine must complete 12-months of training in an ACGME–accredited Sports Medicine fellowship affiliated with an ACGME-accredited residency program in Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Applications for the Sports Medicine examination are available online beginning December 1, 2007. The deadline for submitting the application, supporting documentation, and fees is February 15, 2008. A late application period is allowed from February 16, 2008 through March 1, 2008, and includes an additional $500 late fee.
To apply for the examination through the ABPMR website, log in using your username and password. Under your contact information click on "Physician Home Page", then select "Sports Medicine Application" from the menu bar on the left side and follow the instructions to apply online.
Upon submitting the application online, you will receive an e-communication from the ABPMR with llinks to forms to be printed, completed and mailed to the Board office with the appropriate fee.

Hope this helps!

Awesome. That really helped a lot. I had no idea it was explicitly outlined on the ABPM&R site. Thanks, again.