Sports medicine fellowships

Started by TRAMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TRAMD

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may be way behind here but I heard today that PM&R residents will now be able to attend sports medicine fellowships because of new ACGME changes.
 
Physiatrists have always been "able" to attend accredited sports medicine fellowships.

The changes are that Physiatrists can now take the sports medicine board exam and that we can now create our own accredited sports fellowships.
 
what would a PM&R based program add to a traditional sports medcine program skill wise, not so much philosophy wise?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just my opinion, but I tend to think that Physiatrists lead the way when it comes to biomechanical analysis (micro and macro).

Think about all the gait analysis/functional anatomy you do in residency, now at an advanced level when someone is dunking, hitting a baseball, throwing, throwing a punch, etc.

That's what alot of sports medicine is (How do I heal my injury as quickly as possible and prevent it from recurring?).

What are our weak points? Managing asthma, diabetes, assessing cardiac risk, managing heat exhaustion, splinting/casting, etc. (General medicine/some acute orthopedic care).
 
We already do much more subtle things than even that, ie. performing arts medicine; dancers, musicians...THAT is some tough biomechanics...very interesting too! Did a month of it at RIC. really cool.

Just my opinion, but I tend to think that Physiatrists lead the way when it comes to biomechanical analysis (micro and macro).

Think about all the gait analysis/functional anatomy you do in residency, now at an advanced level when someone is dunking, hitting a baseball, throwing, throwing a punch, etc.

That's what alot of sports medicine is (How do I heal my injury as quickly as possible and prevent it from recurring?).

What are our weak points? Managing asthma, diabetes, assessing cardiac risk, managing heat exhaustion, splinting/casting, etc. (General medicine/some acute orthopedic care).