Sports Medicine textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a good sports medicine textbook? Not so much for anatomy, but mainly for athletic injuries and particularly geared for physicians. Any input apprecited!

Members don't see this ad.

CanuckRazorback said:
Does anyone have suggestions for a good sports medicine textbook? Not so much for anatomy, but mainly for athletic injuries and particularly geared for physicians. Any input apprecited![/QUOT

Sports med secrets

CanuckRazorback said:
Does anyone have suggestions for a good sports medicine textbook? Not so much for anatomy, but mainly for athletic injuries and particularly geared for physicians. Any input apprecited!

Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care is put out by AAOS and is a great book for primary care providers or medical students who are familiarizing themselves with musculoskeletal problems and treatment. It's lean on the details of surgical care, but it's not intended to be a text for orthopaedic surgeons.

Review of Orthopaedics by Mark Miller is a good book, especially for medical students interested in orthopaedics. It's a great book to have around. Very readable. He is a well-known sports guy (at UVA) so that section is strong and well done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the recommendation of Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care as a basic book for PCPs. It is well formatted and easy to read. It covers a lot of different conditions.

Delee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice (2 Volume Set) (Hardcover) by Jesse Delee (Editor), David Drez (Editor), Mark D. Miller (Editor) is one of the main reference text used by orthopaedists for sports. It is a comprehensive reference geared toward orthopaedic surgeons, but useful for all.

I agree that Essentials is a little lean on details, but is good for the PCP for general ortho. Not a sports med specific book.

I also agree that DeLee and Drez is a great two-volume set for the orthopod and ortho-to-be.