Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

normalforce

Full Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is PM&R the best specialty to do non-surgical sports medicine. If I wanted to be affiliated with a University as a sports medicine/rehab doctor, is PM&R best? Also, would I be able to do a sports medicine fellowship, or would a PASSOR spine fellowship be better? Any ideas? Also, any ideas on the salary for non-surgical sports medicine?

Thanks.
 
I think that PM&R is the best specialty to do non-surgical sports medicine. We get much more training in MSK medicine and procedures than FP or IM residents and we can also do EMGs.

Deciding between a Sports or Spine fellowship will really depend on your interests. The Spine fellowships will give you much more training in doing Interventional Spine procedures and EMGs, but your training will be mainly focused on Spine pathology.

Compensation will depend on what type of practice you have. The more spinal interventions or EMGs you do, the more you will likely make. Here's one website below:

http://www.cejkasearch.com/content.asp?intPageID=264&intSubNavID=33

The Physiatrists I've met doing just Spine make closer to what is listed for medical Orthopaedics.