Sports medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuelas1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any fields outside of Sports Medicine & Ortho-Surgery..that can actually have a part/piece of a contribution to sports medicine??

I’m asking because I would love to do sports medicine but i would rather not have family Medicine be my specialty (i hate obgyn) and Ortho surgery is kind of out of the question..

Appreciate of all replies

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Your options include:
If you have applied to and are currently in medical school (both specialties I have listed below are DO AND MD friendly except for the top ACGME IM spots which will be filled with competitive candidates wanting to go into competitive fellowships like GI and Cards):
A. PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-4 year residency) followed by a 1 yr Sports Medicine fellowship. These docs are part of the non-surgical sports medicine team. This is probably what you are looking for (they perform a lot of dx ultrasound and dx/treat MSK disorders with injections, rehab protocols, pain meds/cortisone etc).
B. 3 yr IM residency followed by a 1 yr Sports Medicine fellowship, if you don't want to do the FM route (since that's what you stated). These docs are your typical non-surgical sports medicine guys.

If you are still a pre-med and don't have the stats for medical school or don't want to have to study as much to get a strong enough MCAT score to get into med school but still want to be a doctor and diagnose and treat patients:
C. Podiatry school then a fellowship in Sports medicine after residency

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Deecee's post covers it pretty well. I'll also add you can potentially look into sports psychology/psychiatry, but it's much more of a niche field than other options like FM or ortho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody else comment on Sports Psychiatry?

Very interesting topic?

Do fellowships exist in the field?

Can anybody else comment on Sports Psychiatry?

Very interesting topic?

Do fellowships exist in the field?

There are no fellowships in it, and from what I understand getting into the field at any elite level (professional) requires connections or luck. One of my attendings is actually the team psychiatrist for 2 NFL teams. He said his responsibilities were basically during the draft season when they'd interview potential draft picks to try and gauge if there were any malignant personality traits. He also said most of the draftees are really well coached by their agents and know just the right things to say. He's also seen a couple of pros in his clinic when they got into trouble with substances or needed some counseling. Beyond that I don't really know a ton about the field or really how to break into it.

This is a good question to ask in the psychiatry residency/attending sub-forum, as I'm sure there's some people in there (like Splik) who know far more about the are than I do.